OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS pricing and choke questions

Started by strum, March 01, 2020, 06:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

Do yalll see TSS prices ever coming down ?  I think they would dominate the market if they would get off Jupiter with the prices. 

owlhoot

davisd9

Fine with where it is.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

strum

Ok yall suck lol just kidding .
  I shot up almost 4 boxes of Long Beards today. While I dont think I ever shot one that would not kill a turkey I never was satisfied with the consistency.  Seamed like the pattern would be spot on one shot then open up the next then move one way or another the next then go back to good.
  So .. Im about o get on the TSS train . Just think they overpriced. But so is gas lol.

owlhoot

Quote from: strum on March 01, 2020, 06:27:03 PM
Ok yall suck lol just kidding .
  I shot up almost 4 boxes of Long Beards today. While I dont think I ever shot one that would not kill a turkey I never was satisfied with the consistency.  Seamed like the pattern would be spot on one shot then open up the next then move one way or another the next then go back to good.
  So .. Im about o get on the TSS train . Just think they overpriced. But so is gas lol.
Seen those problems with the longbeards I shot , others did too. Among some other problems  reported as pitiful patterns with new loads recently on here.
TSS overpriced, heck yes.  When you buy them its ouch.  Thing is though that we never had to shoot many to get patterns that work and hit consistent numbers and impact points. Never had to go buy a bunch of new chokes and test and test. Shooting TSS federal loads and a few TSS browning.

strum

I had good luck last two years pattering Long beards.  But not this time . Yes these were new ones.
My old boxes said Magnum  but these just say XR 

So anyway I just ordered 3 boxes of the Federal TSS 12 gauge 3" #9s 

owlhoot

Quote from: strum on March 01, 2020, 07:18:37 PM
I had good luck last two years pattering Long beards.  But not this time . Yes these were new ones.
My old boxes said Magnum  but these just say XR 

So anyway I just ordered 3 boxes of the Federal TSS 12 gauge 3" #9s
ours were when they first come out. no magnums then

USMC0331

This is why so many are  reloading their own due to inconsistent ammo year ro year by the manufacturers. Sometimes lighter oz load, more or less powder,  bad crimps to name a few things.  Each time you change ammo most times you will have to change choke.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

strum

Quote from: USMC0331 on March 01, 2020, 07:37:33 PM
Each time you change ammo most times you will have to change choke.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Really this is a new gun. I did shoot it just a few times right at the last day or two of the season last year. It was ok and even now its ok . But not  "wow" .  Its a Weatherby home defense 18" barrel that I had dipped and put a  gobble stopper .665 choke on it . 
  Im  hopping that choke will work but im prepared to try something else if needed.

owlhoot

With the TSS you should be more than good with that choke. Should be an easy hunting pattern to work with.  Now start chasing for max numbers in the 10" , whole new ballgame.
The 20 gauges  are putting 200 plus in the 10" with any combo I put them through,even a fixed full single shot.

madstrutter

Raw material is about 60% of the cost.  Companies selling TSS loaded aren't making the same percentage as other products typically sold in the US.

strum

Quote from: owlhoot on March 01, 2020, 09:57:27 PM
With the TSS you should be more than good with that choke. Should be an easy hunting pattern to work with.  Now start chasing for max numbers in the 10" , whole new ballgame.
The 20 gauges  are putting 200 plus in the 10" with any combo I put them through,even a fixed full single shot.

So as Im learning.. the TSS is working well with the more open chokes?

owlhoot

Lots of info on here . Look at pattern pics section. From what i have seen you will be good with what you got. Personally i like a tighter choke for Federal loads.

strum

Thanks . Im looking forward to testing. crossing my fingers on the choke .

captfire

I shot long beards 3 inch #6 for 3 years this year the long beards went south bad I bit the bullet and got some tss 3 inch #9 you will in shock when you shoot them I won't look back I don't know what Winchester did to the long beards but they are [JUNK]..