turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spring Kee Kee run

Started by ChiefBubba, February 29, 2020, 07:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefBubba

So just wondering has anyone tried it? I know it's great in the fall but how about in the spring. Bubba

fallhnt

I had a pair of birds fly across a hollow to me after I  kee kee run. It was late season and they were just going through the motions before I used it. I also gobbler yelp and use a gobbler shaker too, as I do in Fall.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

eggshell

I agree with fallhnt, it will work. I don't use kee kees on a regular basis, but I have and it works. I also agree that it works better late in the season when breeding is cycling down and gobblers are rebuilding gobbler flocks. This usually starts with the jakes and less dominate 2 year olds and the old monarchs are the last to give up breeding and join the gobbler flocks. So if your targeting an old dominate bird it's probably not as effective.

dirt road ninja

They KeeKee year round. It may not call them, but it may. Just like every other call.

Sir-diealot

I was going to ask this myself about 2 weeks ago and thought everybody would think I was stupid, so I did not ask. Thanks for asking.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

Just something else you can add to your bag of tricks...

MK M GOBL

Have used, called in hens and got toms gobbling too, killed some birds with it. It's a "turkey sound" go ahead and use it! And have heard/had bird kee kee in spring as well.

MK M GOBL

TauntoHawk

If your trying to work the hens in a flock without making them mad the kee kee is a great starting point.

When birds are flocked up and the hens are talking more then the boys it's a great call to use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ARjtk

I hear it in the spring often. I use it a lot blind calling and have started many conversations with hens this way.

Bowguy

I've heard em kee kee all year n successfully used it to call hens that brought gobblers along

Bamaslayer757

Add a kee kee a lot of times to add a lil character with the calling to differentiate myself from others who have attempted to call a heavily pressured bird...if you're good at it, why not add it in with some yelps...

Harty

I've added it  to my turkey calling regime to add some variety and to break up my pattern of calling. Don't know if the kee-keeing has specifically brought in turkeys

davisd9

Like all calling it needs to be used in an appropriate moment.  There are vocals that you can add before and after to really give realism and use it to your advantage.  I have spent a good amount of time working on it on my trumpets and have researched it since hearing a lot of Kee Kees last spring.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mightyjoeyoung

If I'm working a henned up gobbler, or I have more hens than I think I can compete with in a given spot, and setting up between the gobbler and hens is a no go, then i will call to the hens, matching their tone and tempo and kee kee to them in between matching what they're doing. That strategy has brought more gobblers in to my gun than you would believe.   
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.