OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's a good second pot call?

Started by Wildcard12, February 21, 2020, 11:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcard12

Thank you all for the great suggestions and advice. I just ordered a Crystal Mistress. It seems like it's a must have to a lot of people, and all the sound bites I've heard of it sound amazing. I also ordered an extra Jatoba striker to test with it. Now I'm set for calls for this season. Now I just need to keep practicing. Season starts for me in just 4 weeks, and I started practicing (with my mouth calls) three months ago so hopefully I will be decent by then. I will be making my first scouting trips in two weeks or so, so hopefully I can find some birds to call at. Thanks again for the warm welcome to the forum.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Harty

Good luck with you're season. Post a pic if you score!

Sir-diealot

I have both a 3" copper from Mike Yingling, and a 3.5" titanium from John Sinclair and they will both reach out there and sing. I have to use the titanium by holding it outside the blind window because it is so incredibly loud it makes my head hurt if I play it in the blind. (When playing it aggressive) It will play mellower too by the way.

The Yingling copper will also reach out there and I really like it's sound.

I have no experience with David's calls so I will not comment on them, he makes a heck of an Ipe one piece striker though, I can tell you that much, sounds great on everything just about.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

grayfox

I would also suggest a good wet weather call like the Enticer Silver Thunder Extreme Aluminum. Unless you are good with a mouth call.

Bowguy

Quote from: chuckward on February 21, 2020, 11:10:48 PM
You can't go wrong with the crystal mistress. Another good one you can get pretty quick is a glass call from Dustin Jones

I agree w the crystal mistress as topping that list. Also agree w Dustin Jones. Mark Cornelius and Jimmy Schafer need to be included too.

Turkeytider

Quote from: grayfox on February 22, 2020, 07:43:00 PM
I would also suggest a good wet weather call like the Enticer Silver Thunder Extreme Aluminum. Unless you are good with a mouth call.

IMO, the Silver Thunder Aluminum is better classified as " all weather ". It will play great perfectly dry as well as literally under water. Nice higher pitched alternative. The corian back will give a nice soft yelp, cluck and purr. It's like two calls in one.

PEte_A

I have a walnut crystal over glass from Dustin that is a smoker

Quote from: Bowguy on February 23, 2020, 05:22:57 AM
Quote from: chuckward on February 21, 2020, 11:10:48 PM
You can't go wrong with the crystal mistress. Another good one you can get pretty quick is a glass call from Dustin Jones

I agree w the crystal mistress as topping that list. Also agree w Dustin Jones. Mark Cornelius and Jimmy Schafer need to be included too.

bbcoach

Quote from: Wildcard12 on February 22, 2020, 04:33:50 PM
Thank you all for the great suggestions and advice. I just ordered a Crystal Mistress. It seems like it's a must have to a lot of people, and all the sound bites I've heard of it sound amazing. I also ordered an extra Jatoba striker to test with it. Now I'm set for calls for this season. Now I just need to keep practicing. Season starts for me in just 4 weeks, and I started practicing (with my mouth calls) three months ago so hopefully I will be decent by then. I will be making my first scouting trips in two weeks or so, so hopefully I can find some birds to call at. Thanks again for the warm welcome to the forum.

Welcome to OG!  The CM is a Great choice for a second pot call.  Find you a laminated wood or dymondwood striker, which I think comes with the call, to use on the CM.  Scuff it up good with some drywall screen or stone and practice.  One more thing, if I'm reading your post right, don't call to birds when you are scouting.  Go early in the morning, listen for birds gobbling on the roost and try to follow them after flydown with binos or with your eyes at a distance so you can narrow down their travel routes.  Don't educate birds by calling to them before the season begins.

Crghss

Since you have a slate (I love slates) I'd go with a crystal or glass for something to reach out there.

My favorites are Halloran crystal mistress or Buster Osage glass. IMHO these are the easiest too play.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Wildcard12

Quote from: bbcoach on February 23, 2020, 07:49:53 PM
Quote from: Wildcard12 on February 22, 2020, 04:33:50 PM

Welcome to OG!  The CM is a Great choice for a second pot call.  Find you a laminated wood or dymondwood striker, which I think comes with the call, to use on the CM.  Scuff it up good with some drywall screen or stone and practice.  One more thing, if I'm reading your post right, don't call to birds when you are scouting.  Go early in the morning, listen for birds gobbling on the roost and try to follow them after flydown with binos or with your eyes at a distance so you can narrow down their travel routes.  Don't educate birds by calling to them before the season begins.
Sorry, I worded my post poorly. I definitely don't intend to call to any birds before the season opens. I meant that I hope to find some birds to call at once the season opens. Thanks for the tip about finding their travel routes. I will definitely do that.