turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's a good second pot call?

Started by Wildcard12, February 21, 2020, 11:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcard12

I should start by saying I am pretty new to turkey hunting (this will be my second season). I hunted my first season with a couple inexpensive, mass produced calls. This year I was able to make it out to the NWTF show in Nashville and picked up a couple nicer calls, including a nice slate call from Derrick Stuckey. He recommended it as a good starting point, and so far I am pretty pleased with. It is super easy to play quiet. My question all of you more experienced gentlemen out there is what do you recommend as a second pot call to put in my vest? I'm weighing my options right now between a Halloran Crystal Mistress, a 3" copper from Mike Yingling, or a 3.25 or 3.5" titanium from John Sinclair. I don't know if I can go wrong with any of those three, but is there anything else you would recommend?  I'm looking for something that's in the beginner to intermediate skill level that can play a little louder and clearer than a slate. (Pic is the Stuckey from the show)

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

chuckward

You can't go wrong with the crystal mistress. Another good one you can get pretty quick is a glass call from Dustin Jones

Charlie 51

Another call from halloran is his twisted sister.. great call..Hanks also makes a good call at a fair price.

Turkeytider

Crystal Mistress is a great call. You might also consider a call you don't have to worry about getting wet. If so, consider Enticer calls from Al Holbert.

Harty

Lots of options and great callmakers out there which can make it complicated. The three calls you listed are all outstanding IMO. Can't go wrong with the Crystal MIstress though. Lots of people would tote that call if they could only carry one.

Welcome to the site!

PEte_A

My Crystal Mistress is always in my vest.

RND1983

I have a good selection of calls from various call makers and most have a list to work through this time of year. So I will fall in line with everyone else on here and tell you to either get a Crystal Mistress or Twisted Sister. You can get your hands on them quickly and they are flat out killers in the turkey woods.

RemingtonRules

Welcome to the obsession of turkey hunting.  My advice would be a call like the crystal mistress.

Even better advice is learn the one you have and spend more time and money on the area you will hunt.  Listen more than you call.  Learn what turkeys do in your area. This is 85% of being successful.  Calling and sitting still round out the remainder.

Spitten and drummen

Twisted sister. I have a truckload of pot calls and as far as crystal surface , my twisted sister edges them all out.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gog1015

I would look hard at a ceramic surface call.

Greg Massey

Ceramic , is my suggestion .. easy to maintain and will play loud to cut the wind and it will play soft also...Get you Mark Cornelius - Mac Calls, Buster " Larry Halford or Pecker Wrecker ceramic with diamondwood striker and he makes one of the best waterproof strikers get it also..

Tom Dooley

I would think a Halloran double glass would work well for you. It's a great call thats pretty easy to run with a variety of strikers.

Snood Life

3bailey3

Larry Buster Halford, read the post right below this started by Chris O, Buster makes some great call and at a price you could get two.

Turkeytider

Quote from: PEte_A on February 22, 2020, 07:36:36 AM
My Crystal Mistress is always in my vest.

Mine too. CM would be a charter member in the turkey call hall of fame, if there was such a thing, IMO.