OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington Model 700 owners beware!!

Started by RaspyD, February 12, 2011, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaspyD

If you own a Remington Model 700 you may want to watch the videos found here:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

The last two stories, "Family Tragedy" and "Inventor Mike Walker" were also shown in last night's episode.  Pretty scary stuff!!  The inventor of the 700, Mike Walker, stated that the problem could have been fixed a long time ago at a whopping cost of 5 1/2 cents per gun!

What is it going to take to get Remington to take care of this problem??
Perfection Turkey Calls

new2turkey

Wow... no no. Recalling all the firearms would cost TOO much money.  ::)

PANYHunter

Thats why I ALWAYS keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction

Kylongspur88

As I've said before I saw a local gunsmith get a new 700 to fire 2 times out of 4 by just closing the bolt.

drum817

You should probably take look at Remingtons response to CNBC, check out this link and click on "Video response to CNBC"....

http://www.remington700.tv/#/home
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

yella yelper

I agree with drum. This is some left wing publication with little or no validity. I can make any rifle do that if I modify the trigger or grossly mis-maintain it. If they are so bad and unpredictable, why is the military still stockin up on them?  Remington's response is on you tube as well. I'll gladly take anyone's 700 off them if they no longer want it.

VAHUNTER

my Son Brad bought a new .270 in the 700 a few years ago. before he ever shot it i had the bolt rebuilt and the safety adjusted
Good things come to those who wait

kamski1151

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

R AJ

The Rem 788 I have had since 1973 has NEVER mis-fired and Another fellow who has two of them has never had a problem. I saw the video about three months ago and that is scary but I trust mine so much I will do as others and always point it in a safe direction and be careful. Several instances did not portray pointing in a safe direction for starters.

WyoHunter

I've never had a problem with mine (1972) that I bought used in 1983. That said I had a trigger job done on it because the trigger pull on it was horrendous. Most accidents can be avoided by following basic firearms safety rules.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Fox Fire

I watched the interveiw with the gent who designed/developed the trigger sevral months back and if I remember he told Rem. they had a problem but they refused to do anything about it, I've owner Rem's. before and will probably own one at some other time but I cant pick one up and not wonder about the saftey.

If correct the compatition shoot'n crowd seem to like the Rem.s and I'm certain ther triggers have been modified, but (not that I hang whith comp. shooters) you dont hear them complain'n.

RutnNStrutn

I had a 700 for years before I sold it to finance my purchase of a TC Encore. Never had any problems with it. Also, if you follow gun safety rules, such as keeping the barrel pointed in a safe direction (not AT your 9 year old), if it did go off, no one would be hurt or killed.

TRKYHTR

I blew a hole in the floorboard of my Dads brand new Dodge Powerwagon back in the mid 70's. I told him it wasn't my fault I'll have to show him this thread.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 12, 2011, 08:30:58 PM
I blew a hole in the floorboard of my Dads brand new Dodge Powerwagon back in the mid 70's. I told him it wasn't my fault I'll have to show him this thread.TRKYHTR
Bet you wished you had the Internet back then!!! :lol: :TooFunny:

timbrhuntr

I've had a model 700 in 300 winchester mag for over 20 years as my moose gun. I have never had an issue with it and love it. I also keep it maintained and follow basic gun handling safety.