OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need patterning opinions

Started by Halfstrut, February 08, 2020, 07:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfstrut

I need someone to tell me I'm over thinking this haha. I probably have been looking at Facebook too much but I've been chasing a pattern that gives me 400 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards. This year I made the change to apex #9 and Indian creek choke from federal tss blend and Carlson's choke. Today I patterned the apex and averaged 350 in 10" and 80% of the pattern in 20" circle. Should I strive for better? Is having a bit of a more open pattern maybe beneficial for forgiveness if I make a bad shot or the bird moves? I know this is all so subjective, just wanted to hear thoughts from more experienced guys. I'm shooting an SBE II by the way.

dirt road ninja

What payload are u shooting?
I would not be happy with 350 out of 2.25 oz loads, in my 20 gauge i'd be looking to open up some if throwing 350's. I like tight patterns, they all tight at a few steps and even tight shooting guns are about basket ball sized patterns at 25 yards.  I sight my shotguns in and I don't feel like I need extra room if he moves.

Halfstrut

Apex 2.75" 2oz. I know most guys shoot 3 or 3.5, I've always been a 3.5 guy myself, but my rationale was that 2oz of tss should be plenty. Good points about the right patterns.

BandedSpur

I like to see around 50% of the pattern in the 10" and as much of the rest of the pattern as I can get in the 10-20. So for a 2 oz load, that is about 350/10 with 9s or 250/10 with 8s.

dirt road ninja

2oz load and 350 would be good by me.

Gobble!

No turkey is walking away from that. I don't consider myself the best shot so I also pay attention to the 20". With 350 in the 10" and 80% in the 20" that means you put roughly 225 in the 10-20". 350/225 is a solid patten.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Gobble! on February 09, 2020, 10:38:11 PM
No turkey is walking away from that. I don't consider myself the best shot so I also pay attention to the 20". With 350 in the 10" and 80% in the 20" that means you put roughly 225 in the 10-20". 350/225 is a solid patten.
I concur.

dzsmith

the pattern will kill.....but you are way below what you should expect. no reason your shouldn't be to hit 400....im in the same boat with the apex. Im averaging higher than you but still ....feel something isn't right.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

BINK McCARTY

Really depends on how much money you are willing to spend chasing what I call "Paper chasing". Ask yourself this question and answer it to YOUR satisfaction, no one else's. Are you willing to spend alot more money improving an already deadly VERY huntable pattern. Myself, I like a good 60/40 split. 60% in the 10", and 40% in the 20" of the entire payload. To me, shooting any more than 2 oz. of TSS is just a waste. And really don't even need that much. Check out foxtrot ammo online. Good luck to ya!!!

NYshotgunner

Quote from: Gobble! on February 09, 2020, 10:38:11 PM

With this I'd sleep good at night, no hunting worries!
"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
NRA Life Member, Veteran

Halfstrut

Appreciate all the info guys. I think I'll roll with this for this season. Maybe next season I'll try a different choke just for kicks.