OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A couple Spaulted Hickory pots.

Started by mastevt, February 05, 2020, 02:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastevt

Finished these up the other day.  Still have 1 striker to make due to 1 blowing up on me in the lathe, but should be done soon.  All are available if interested.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

John Sinclair CustomCalls

sbbow

Very nice Scott! Always like looking at your work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Harty

Eye catchers for sure. My wife says they're beautiful. Says if she turkey hunted she'd buy em all.

Cool Ridge Clucker

If you don't mind me asking, how difficult is it to dye your wood blanks to get such amazing colors out of them?  I saw something you had posted some time ago (I'm pretty sure it was you)....I believe it was sycamore that was dyed blue.....beautiful!

mastevt

Quote from: Cool Ridge Clucker on February 06, 2020, 03:35:55 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how difficult is it to dye your wood blanks to get such amazing colors out of them?  I saw something you had posted some time ago (I'm pretty sure it was you)....I believe it was sycamore that was dyed blue.....beautiful!

Thank you!

Its done during the stabilizing method.  I put Alumilite dye in the stabilizing fluid, That I get from
my supplier.  It took some time and alot of attempts in experimenting, to figure out  the color depth
that I wanted.  The wood has to be absolute 0% moisture.  This is where moisture meters no longer
work, so you have to monitor the wood, while you dry it, and weight it.  Once it no longer looses weight, it's at 0% and ready for stabilizing.  Or in my case, I air dry my wood to about .03 to .06% and then put it in an oven for 24 hours at 225 degrees.  Then its ready to stabilize.  Double or triple dying is just setting it in the juice and letting the wood soak up the juice(resin).  Once it reaches where you want it, You put it in the oven and cure it at 225 degrees for a couple hours.  Then take it out and let it cool down in a zip lock bag so it doesn't absorb air moisture.  Then put in another color, and soak, and again cure at 225.  When your done with the color and cure, Then I put it the stabilizing vessel with clear resin, and stabilize it under vacuum for a minimum of 8 hours.  Shut down, and then let it soak for another 24 hours, then pull, wipe dry, and cure in oven for another couple hours.  As you can see its not something you just bang out.  Takes a lot of time and patience.  Those calls above took me 2 weeks to color and stabilize.  And don't let the eye candy fool ya.  They are some fantastic sounding calls.   Stabilizing Locks all the wood fibers together by infusing them with a polymer resin, much like fiberglass resin, except its cured by heat, not by an activator.  Once stabilized, the wood is strengthened, and density is put back into the soft wood, and it no longer reacts to varying Temperature and Humidity causing inconsistent sounds.  It becomes much more consistent.

Beards and Hooks

Greg Massey

turkey stew

Cool Ridge Clucker

Thanks for the info on the process.  You put a lot of work into your calls and it really shows.  Top notch work.