turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Different materials

Started by Big Sky Tom, February 04, 2020, 12:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Sky Tom

This will be my first season doing the calling myself. Previously I would hunt with my grandfather and he enjoys it so I always just let him call. I have been practicing on a cheap slate call I ordered from Hooks as an impulse buy when I bought the owl locator. The other popular materials seem to be glass, ceramic and aluminum. Just briefly what situations do you you use the different materials for? Any recommendations on a slate upgrade and which one to get next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodney gillikin

Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

PEte_A

I see you're looking for a new pot or two. Go on the pot call sound files forum and have a listen to some of the different surfaces. Honestly, I would suggest getting a good glass and a slate. With those you'd be good to go!

EZ

Quote from: Big Sky Tom on February 04, 2020, 12:31:36 AM
The other popular materials seem to be glass, ceramic and aluminum. Just briefly what situations do you you use the different materials for? Any recommendations on a slate upgrade and which one to get next?

Different calling surfaces are just that, different. One is not better than the other. Generally speaking, I like them all, but almost always find a good slate hard to beat. Higher pitched aluminum or crystal are good on windy days. Ceramic seems to be a little more forgiving but often has a nice sound.

Then you get into the different woods for the pot, different sound board materials as well as the different calling surfaces.....not to mention strikers, lol!!!

All in all, you got about a million possible combinations, all with the goal of producing different turkey sounds. They're all good.

EZ

You mentioned "a cheep slate ordered from Hooks". I don't own one but from what I know, that's a pretty good call. I'd suggest you "really" learn how to run a pot call well first. It will be a lot easier to judge others when you know what you're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSxhdwQN980&t=136s

Big Sky Tom

I got the one with the plastic bottom so that would be one of the better ones they make in the video. Not trying to talk bad about the call and you're right it's more than sufficient for me to learn on. Once I get better at playing it I'm sure I'll want to experiment with some of the nicer calls.

EZ

Quote from: Big Sky Tom on February 04, 2020, 05:34:08 PM
Once I get better at playing it I'm sure I'll want to experiment with some of the nicer calls.

Oh, that you will....and if you hang out here too much, you'll probably go off the deep end, lol!!!
Ask plenty off questions. The folks on here are always willing to help out.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Big Sky Tom on February 04, 2020, 05:34:08 PM
I got the one with the plastic bottom so that would be one of the better ones they make in the video. Not trying to talk bad about the call and you're right it's more than sufficient for me to learn on. Once I get better at playing it I'm sure I'll want to experiment with some of the nicer calls.

Oh man I have been ruined since I found out about custom calls, they sure do sound/look good and collecting them has become addicting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bbcoach

Big Sky, Good luck this spring!  Don't get wrapped around the axles with this call or that.  As some have already said, learn to play the Hooks slate.  IMO slate is one of the best sounding pot calls made.  I have a $15 Primos Ol Betsy acrylic grey slate pot, that has brought in many birds to their death.  My advice to you is Practice, Practice and Practice some more.  As you become more proficient with the Hooks and gain CONFIDENCE, then look to other surfaces (crystal, glass and metal) for different sounds.  I'll leave you with this, you can spend lots of money on calls but there isn't a Holy Grail call out there.  Let the Turkeys decide.  Good Hunting! 

Big Sky Tom

I'm sure those are wise words Bbcoach. I'm not proficient enough yet to be able to really tell the difference. I'm definitely a gear queer as they used to say in the Marines so it's hard to fight the impulse to acquire cool stuff.

I know a lot more about fly fishing than this. Entry level rods you can get a package with a plastic reel and line for like $200. Most of the rods I fish just the rod costs over a thousand bucks. If I didn't really know how to cast I wouldn't notice a difference but if you know what you're doing it's night and day.