OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite pot material /combo

Started by aeasley10, February 02, 2020, 01:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeasley10

Hey guys I'm no call guru but I have Cody grey/black slate that I like, but I don't have much experience with aluminum, glass, copper, red or green slate.  I'm wondering if you could only have 1 call, what material or combo of materials would you choose.

Also could you give a list of some favorite call brands/makers. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Anything normally used, on some form of wood.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mudhen

Slate over glass...

Light's Out
Kaiser Kalls
Soggy Bottom

and many, many, others!
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Sixes

870BkWht

You'll probably get a thousand different answers but It all depends of what you like out of a turkey call.  If your looking to have a high volume call, opt for crystal or aluminum.  If your looking for more rasp, im going to say crystal or aluminum again.  If your looking for something that sounds different then try ceramic, copper, or brass.  There are variables in all those surfaces. 

Hanks, Halloran, Lon Trice, and Daybreak are some of the bigger named calls, but there are several callmakers on this board that would make you a pot call that sounds excellent.  Buster Halford, Nathan Taylor, Mike Yingling, Footballer, and others are just whats on the top of my head. 

Greg Massey

My go to pot is ceramic , but i like them all in different situations glass, crystal, slate, alum and copper. My pot call list : Mark Cornelius , for any pot call surface, his pots are some of the best.. he's on Facebook check him out and listen to him play ceramic and glass pots .. Buster Halford - another good pot call builder ceramic , glass and slate - red slate. Others are Brad Roberts , Nathan Taylor, Mike Yingling , David Halloran and list could go on ... Clay Townsend makes some fine calls and Strikers, if you don't have one of his persimmon snakewood strikers i suggest you get one. Chad Remenaric and check out Roger Parks for gobbler pots and jake yelps .... all of these guys are on Facebook ... make yourself plans to go to Unicoi and you will meet some of the best call builders in the world ...

HookedonHooks

Really liking green slate. Lon Trice or Paul Durham are two I'd recommend that will get you a phenomenal call relatively timely, and at a good price.

aeasley10

Are "glass, acrylic, crystal" all different materials?  I assumed they were all references to the same thing. 

Also do I understand slates correctly. 

Black -softest raspiest
Green
Red- hardest loudest highest pitch

Spitten and drummen

I like everything but metal surfaces personally. They all will kill birds though.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

pauld

Quote from: aeasley10 on February 02, 2020, 07:42:03 PM
Are "glass, acrylic, crystal" all different materials?  I assumed they were all references to the same thing. 

Black -softest raspiest
Green

Rasp and pitch are all in the hands of the maker.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: pauld on February 02, 2020, 07:50:08 PM

Black -softest raspiest
Green

And in the hands of the user.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Harty

I enjoy playing all the various pot call surfaces over all the different woods/ and materials . My favs vary from year to year based on the gobblers response . Last year it was ceramic and copper. Many outstanding call makers out there . Lots mentioned already.

bbcoach

I like what the turkeys respond to.  I have copper and wood, ceramic and wood, grey slate and wood, crystal and wood and grey slate and acrylic.  I will say, I use them all but the slate with acrylic pot is my go to.  A Primos Ol Betsy $15 call.  You will have to try many to see what the birds like and which calls you yourself have Confidence in.  Each bird and each day are different.  Have several different types and use them.  You never know what they are going to respond to.

pauld

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 02, 2020, 07:58:58 PM
Quote from: pauld on February 02, 2020, 07:50:08 PM

Black -softest raspiest
Green

And in the hands of the user.

Agreed! Totally.