OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEW TURKEY GUN OPINIONS

Started by VA Turkeyfish, February 01, 2020, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Quote from: Bowguy on February 03, 2020, 06:21:30 PM
I have a bunch Of dedicated turkey guns. Few years back I bought an Ithaca. It had some issues. Lots of guns do it seems but customer service were nice, the problems corrected. I think it's a good gun and I don't believe you'd be disappointed. In fact you may really Ike it if you're a trigger guy who likes smooth guns. Best trigger I ever felt on a shotgun.
I'm a pump guy. I'd prob recommend a bps too. Can't go wrong w a browning. Hate they're not made here but you can't beat em. Open forcing cones too.
If you want a straight up no nonsense work horse, the mossberg 835 is it. Overbored barrel, open cones. You can't ask for a better gun for the price. Mine I've had since about 1990. Still a great gun.
Winchester has/had way too many issues. New Remington's I'm no fan of. Garbage compared to the old stuff.

Can't agree on the Remington statement . Guns have ranged from '82 ( old stuff ) to 2017 ( new stuff ). All have been just fine. Just my personal experience.

Big Pine

I agree on the 835 as well. I own much more expensive shotguns that I have never been able to get close to the 835 as far as patterning goes, and I love the tang safety. Suckers kick like mules,though

KentuckyLB

Quote from: sixbird on February 02, 2020, 10:50:43 AM
I know you didn't mention this gun, but it might be worth checking the Franchi Afinnity 3. It's light, ergonomic and guys I know who have them say they pattern phenomenally. It's an inertia operated system, which I really like. Clean shooting regarding powder fouling. The inertia system is in the fore end which is an advantage over the Benellis since you don't have to take the stock assembly off to get to it. You can buy one for about $750. They come in Mossy New Bottomland. Sweet gun!

I just purchased this same gun,, running Nitro 2 5/16 8x9 out of a Jebs 660 with a FF3..shoots very well probably the best patterning turkey gun I have owned in over 25 years. Gun is light with a 26 inch barrel she moves nicely. As stated I paid $768.00 out the door from mine at local dealer I have been using for years.

Bowguy

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 03, 2020, 10:16:04 PM
I have a bunch Of dedicated turkey guns. Few years back I bought an Ithaca. It had some issues. Lots of guns do it seems but customer service were nice, the problems corrected. I think it's a good gun and I don't believe you'd be disappointed. In fact you may really Ike it if you're a trigger guy who likes smooth guns. Best trigger I ever felt on a shotgun.
I'm a pump guy. I'd prob recommend a bps too. Can't go wrong w a browning. Hate they're not made here but you can't beat em. Open forcing cones too.
If you want a straight up no nonsense work horse, the mossberg 835 is it. Overbored barrel, open cones. You can't ask for a better gun for the price. Mine I've had since about 1990. Still a great gun.
Winchester has/had way too many issues. New Remington's I'm no fan of. Garbage compared to the old stuff.

Can't agree on the Remington statement . Guns have ranged from '82 ( old stuff ) to 2017 ( new stuff ). All have been just fine. Just my personal experience.

Talk to a gunsmith. Ask em how many new Remington's come in w issues

Reloader

If I had to choose from that list it would be SX4 by a landslide.  That said, I agree with others on the 20ga.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Bowguy on February 04, 2020, 10:18:10 AM
Quote from: Turkeytider on February 03, 2020, 10:16:04 PM

Talk to a gunsmith. Ask em how many new Remington's come in w issues

Like I said, just speaking for myself and my own personal experience. Not anybody else.

VA Turkeyfish

What kind of issues did you have with the Ithaca?  I think I have been swayed to the 20 ga camp.  EVERYONE i ask says its the way to go with TSS.  Might as well give it a try.  Ithaca has some clearance 20 ga. turkey slayers at a big discount on their site.  They are mismatched black stock/forend with camo barrel/reciever.  Says they are brand new, never boxed, never shot. 

Turkeytider

Quote from: Big Pine on February 03, 2020, 10:30:29 PM
I agree on the 835 as well. I own much more expensive shotguns that I have never been able to get close to the 835 as far as patterning goes, and I love the tang safety. Suckers kick like mules,though

835 Ultimags and 870's together may well have killed more turkeys than everything else combined. And yes, both of them can kick like mules! Limbsavers are your friend!

KentuckyLB

I would stay away from the SX4 if you run 3.5 loads.. been there done that and seen it with 4 different shotguns not just mine. Do some research on them , plenty of information about the SX4 not cycling 3.5 loads consistently.

I sold my Hybrid Hunter after only owning it for a month as it would not cycle a Apex 3.5 or Nitro to save its life.

Bowguy

Quote from: VA Turkeyfish on February 04, 2020, 09:06:59 PM

What kind of issues did you have with the Ithaca?  I think I have been swayed to the 20 ga camp.  EVERYONE i ask says its the way to go with TSS.  Might as well give it a try.  Ithaca has some clearance 20 ga. turkey slayers at a big discount on their site.  They are mismatched black stock/forend with camo barrel/reciever.  Says they are brand new, never boxed, never shot.
The Ithaca after maybe 20 shots broke a slide spring. They fixed it and I never noticed the magazine wasn't cleared correctly. Wouldn't fit shells.
It's fine now.
Here's where I very differ. I'm no TSS guy. If money was really easy maybe but not probably.
W a new gun say you have to try dif loads, chokes, sights. You figure you'd prob have a few hundred in the gun in spent shells pretty quick.
Now you need some to hunt with. More money
Once figured out it's prob less expensive.
I'd say way more birds are killed close enough lead is fine. Imo only is long range something you want to do? Let's be honest even 40 is far in the woods. I'd pass lots of them even. If the choices to the questions are positive for TSS, go for it but no way no how is it necessary. Might give you a few more chances. Remember the thread who hunts traditional. We all make dif choices. To me a hunt would be calling em up close. You may want to take every advantage. I'll say again, is that sporting your you? If so go for it.

VA Turkeyfish

Glad to hear Ithaca took care of the problem.  Thats encouraging and one more reason to buy something made in US.  Things happen all the time, but not everyone stands behind their products and makes things right. 
I agree with you on the hunting.  I have never shot a turkey beyond 30 yards.  It is definitely more fun/rewarding to get him in nice and close and then turn his lights out.  I have been hunting with lead shot since I started turkey hunting six years ago.  (Still wet behind the ears I know!)   To me its not about the longer distances, although it is nice to know you could stretch the shot out a little longer if you really wanted to.  I just like to try different things.  I know TSS is expensive, but thats Ok, its another experience.  I might end up not liking it and go back to lead and thats OK too. Truth is, I don't really need a new gun, but I want one so Why not? Ive hunted deer with rifles, shotguns, bows, cross bows, black powder.   You never know what you're gonna like best until you give it a whirl!

Thanks again for everyone's insight! 

decoykrvr

I've got a BPS set up for turkey hunting and a bunch of Model 37's, two of which are dedicated turkey guns and have accounted for a bunch of turkeys w/ an IC .660 and H13, 7's or 6's.  The Ithaca Model 37 is without a doubt the best made, smoothest pump shotgun available and if properly maintained will provide a lifetime of service.

dzsmith

Quote from: VA Turkeyfish on February 01, 2020, 08:24:41 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!  Thats kinda what I thought about the ithaca. Just needed to hear it from someone else to convince me. Ive shouldered the v3 and the sx4. Sx4 felt really good. But wasnt wild about the remington.  Very curious about the new savage but Maybe Ill let other folks be the test pilots and revisit after theyve been in use a year or 2. Leaning heavily toward the sx4. BTW $1000ish budget. And I fully expect to replace the supplied choke with something of higher quality.
you cant really go wrong with anything, theyll all kill. get what you can afford and what is most comfortable to you.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Turkeytider

Quote from: dzsmith on February 08, 2020, 08:15:32 AM
Quote from: VA Turkeyfish on February 01, 2020, 08:24:41 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!  Thats kinda what I thought about the ithaca. Just needed to hear it from someone else to convince me. Ive shouldered the v3 and the sx4. Sx4 felt really good. But wasnt wild about the remington.  Very curious about the new savage but Maybe Ill let other folks be the test pilots and revisit after theyve been in use a year or 2. Leaning heavily toward the sx4. BTW $1000ish budget. And I fully expect to replace the supplied choke with something of higher quality.
you cant really go wrong with anything, theyll all kill. get what you can afford and what is most comfortable to you.

A great deal of truth in this, IMO. Turkey related shooting is so comparatively low volume, particularly if the gun is dedicated to turkeys, that I can`t imagine substantive wear and tear in a turkey gun. My 870 is used, `05 vintage with an unknown history but with somewhat well worn camo. Couldn`t imagine it functioning any better, though. 

thegrayman

Get the gun the fit's you best.........a gun that fit's you and what your going to use it for. As to a new gun on the market, I got my Nova the first year out, never an issue, but that's for a pump gun. If it was my money, I'd stay pump gun, the Ithaca........or just about any other pump gun, you won't ware it out in your lifetime.

As for the Savage, I'd wait till someone else discovers the bugs in the design, if you truly want an auto, go SX4, Remington V3. JMHO
NRA Life Member, Veteran 68-74