OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEW TURKEY GUN OPINIONS

Started by VA Turkeyfish, February 01, 2020, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA Turkeyfish

New to OG.  This is my first post!  Looking for a new gun for this season.  Have been shooting an 870 last few years.  No problems with it, just want a new tool.  Would love any input on the guns I have narrowed it down to.  All 12 ga.  I'm a lefty by the way.

--Ithaca Turkey Slayer--Anybody know anything about current models in production?  Only reviews I have seen are like 10 years old. They don't sell them where I live so kind of reluctant to buy something I cant put my hands of first

--Win sx 4 cantilever turkey--Only comes in MO obsession which I wear and like for the Spring, but what about Fall? Won't a lime green gun stick out like a sore thumb in the Fall/Winter woods?  I do enjoy the Fall/Winter turkey season in VA. Wish they offered it in bottomland  Am I overthinking this?

--Savage renegauge turkey--Thinking about waiting for these to hit the shelves sometime around Mid March (or so Ive been told).  They come in Obsession and Bottomland!  Kinda nervous about buying the first edition of a gun Without any real world in the field reviews. 

USMC0331

A few on here have the Ithaca and like it a lot but most likely you would have to order it. I have Remington, Browning, and Mossberg and like them all. I would put a few brands in your hand and see what is comfortable to you and go from their. Lots of solid options out their. Hope you find what you want and may you bust a big tim this year with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

I shoot an 870 Super Mag and like it. If I were going to a SA, I'd look at Remington's V3 Turkey Pro for 12 gauge. I have a V3 Field Sport and like it very much. For a 20, TSS through any number ( Stoeger, Stevens) .

dzsmith

heres my input. first you need to decide if you want an autoloader or a pump. any gun you buy will kill a turkey...you may have to get comfortable with one or the other, or have to sacrifice a few thing with one or the other. One thing to consider is the ability to repair it yourself if you have a problem, and how easy it is to get parts for if you have a problem...and how expensive those parts are and how long it takes to get them. you said you have an 870...you could always do work to it, forcing cone lengthened, barrel shortened. chokes, stocks, trigger springs, custom finishes.....course by the time you do all that you could buy a top end gun with the finish , stock, trigger, etc...you already like for about the same price you would have invested in your 870. You could buy a model specific dedicated turkey gun...IMO they always seem to come with things I don't like. usually a cheap red dot, crappy choke or what not. If you want an automatic Id give a good look at the Remington v3 turkey. It is available in some turkey season colors, already has a shortened barrel, comes with a red dot on a rail, and has the truglo headbanger choke which is an excellent choke even if it is a truglo product. It has an oversized bolt release, and points and feels great in my hands.....i don't like the red dot it comes with but like i mentioned earlier its give or take. i wana say its in the 7-800 dollar price range could be wrong. Next you could step it up a notch. the new retay small town hunting edition shotgun. has either a burris or vortex venom on it...."premium optic" comes with a jebs choke "premium choke" cerakoted receiver with a dipped stock and forend. turkey season colors. cost a little over a 1K but you are getting easily 400 bucks worth of premium accessories right off the bat, 24" barrel to. There is a plethora of options out there. Posting your budget would definelty help with recommendations. several years ago i was considering the Ithaca. at the time they had an edition of the turkey slayer with laminate thumbhole stock, lengthened forcing cone, chokes, you name it. they no longer offer that gun, now its just a synthetic stock 800 dollar pump shotgun. still a great gun im sure....but for the money and the fact you would have to order it. I would go a different route.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

the Ward

If your a lefty it is hard to go wrong with a browning bps. Top tang safety and bottom eject, and some models come drilled and tapped for optic from factory. Weight is similar to your 870 in 12 gauge. I have 2, one in 10 gauge and one in 12 gauge, and both have been very reliable. One in 12 gauge with a 3.5 chamber and 24" barrel with synthetic stocks would make a great spring/fall turkey gun. I haven't owned one in camo, i just wrap mine in tape. I have read where the dura touch finish that browning uses can break down and become a gummy mess, but i don't have any first hand knowledge about it. good luck in your quest, it is always fun shopping for a new gun! and,,,,,,,,  :welcomeOG: Out of the 3 guns you have listed i would go with the winchester sx4 by a longshot. Pretty much a proven gas system, invector plus choke and backbored barrel and a cantilever mount.

VA Turkeyfish

Thanks for all the feedback!  Thats kinda what I thought about the ithaca. Just needed to hear it from someone else to convince me. Ive shouldered the v3 and the sx4. Sx4 felt really good. But wasnt wild about the remington.  Very curious about the new savage but Maybe Ill let other folks be the test pilots and revisit after theyve been in use a year or 2. Leaning heavily toward the sx4. BTW $1000ish budget. And I fully expect to replace the supplied choke with something of higher quality.

dms2511

Like the majority of OG members, I own numerous turkey guns and have tried about everything. I'm right handed, but have 2 sons that are both left handed. Of the guns that I own, the Ithaca Turkeyslayer is awesome for left handlers especially considering the bottom ejection. Out of the box hands down the smoothest working action and best trigger I've seen on a turkey shotgun. The factory iron sights are top quality, and not the plastic junk stuck to a ventilated rib that seems to be common on "single purpose built" shotguns. The sling mount welded to the barrel works well and keeps the barrel low and out of the way when you are navigating the woods under tree limbs chasing gobblers. They are clearly an expensive pump shotgun, but my experience very high quality and well assembled. Shoots awesome evenly spaced paper covering targets at all turkey killing ranges with Hevi #6's and Briley choke that comes with gun. I love mine, and my left handed son loves it more. All the guns you are considering I'm sure will work for you, but just my thoughts on the Ithaca and lefty's. 

1iagobblergetter

I would go 20g,but if your dead set on 12g. I would go with the ithaca. I personally like hunting with a lightweight gun when turkey or deerhunting. Autoloaders weigh more.
I turkey hunt with a T/C Encore. Why ?? Because its short and lightweight. Knowing I only have one shot I know my gun and that I better make it count.

sixbird

I know you didn't mention this gun, but it might be worth checking the Franchi Afinnity 3. It's light, ergonomic and guys I know who have them say they pattern phenomenally. It's an inertia operated system, which I really like. Clean shooting regarding powder fouling. The inertia system is in the fore end which is an advantage over the Benellis since you don't have to take the stock assembly off to get to it. You can buy one for about $750. They come in Mossy New Bottomland. Sweet gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

The V3 turkey pro is an excellent shotgun.  Very adjustable for lop and cast and drilled and tapped.  I would be hesitant to buy the first iteration of the Savage, and besides it is not drilled and tapped..  like many here, I've had about every turkey shotgun known to man lol, and still have several. My all time favorite so far has been the V3...and I am lefty too!

VA Turkeyfish

Really appreciate everyones input.  I value the opinions of fellow hunters. Maybe I should take another look at the v3. It didnt feel that comfortable to me but maybe first impressions arent everything.  Ruled out the savage after reading some early pre production reviews.  Will let yall know what I end up getting.

Nmhuntr

I just picked up a used Mossberg 835 Camo with FO sights 24" barrel for $275 like new condition. I have used an 870 with 28" barrel for years but wanted somethin shorted and did not want to drop a load of money into it. The Mossberg 835 with shoot 3.5" shells if you want and has the safety up top so being left handed would not matter. It is a pump though. I kept watching Gun broker and Armslist

BINK McCARTY

You should really consider a 20 gauge and shoot TSS....just my .02.

trkehunr93

I say find all three in a gunshop or big box store, shoulder them, and see what you think.  If the 870's been working for you then spend your $$ elsewhere and stick with it.  I love my 835 and hunt with it all the time and have a couple of others but that 835 has proven itself time and time again. 

Bowguy

I have a bunch Of dedicated turkey guns. Few years back I bought an Ithaca. It had some issues. Lots of guns do it seems but customer service were nice, the problems corrected. I think it's a good gun and I don't believe you'd be disappointed. In fact you may really Ike it if you're a trigger guy who likes smooth guns. Best trigger I ever felt on a shotgun.
I'm a pump guy. I'd prob recommend a bps too. Can't go wrong w a browning. Hate they're not made here but you can't beat em. Open forcing cones too.
If you want a straight up no nonsense work horse, the mossberg 835 is it. Overbored barrel, open cones. You can't ask for a better gun for the price. Mine I've had since about 1990. Still a great gun.
Winchester has/had way too many issues. New Remington's I'm no fan of. Garbage compared to the old stuff.