turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with Diaphragm calls..

Started by new2turkey, February 12, 2011, 03:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2turkey

Any advice for a mouth call? I've got about 30 dollars worth of diaphragm calls, and suck with all of them... First of all, I have in behind all of my teeth, so basically resting on the back of my wisdom teeth. Is this right?

I want to learn to use these before may.

sugarray

I feel I can give you good advice, as I have just gone through this myself.

How I was taught, by Joe, TRKYHTR, is to get a double reed.  Get a consistent high pitch sound.  Then work on dropping your jaw, not just moving your lips to drop the pitch.  I think KEEE -  YAWK for the call.  Then progressively get faster until you can put it together for the yelp.  It will take some time, just depends on how much you work on it.  If you find you are getting frustrated, then stop and take a break for a while.  When you get this down then move the calls with cuts and more reeds.

It took me about 2 solid weeks, but this was after practicing off and on for about 6 mo, but one day it just clicked.  Now I am working on cadence and rhythm to sound like a hen, not a caller in the woods doing the same thing over and over.

new2turkey

Thanks! I practiced for about a month and realized I'd probably stop practicing the wrong sounds before it became habit... I put them up and took them out about an hour ago and started playing. I live in an apartment, so I can't practice as much as I'd like, but I've got a long car ride ahead of me later ;)

CASH

Take one with you everywhere you go.  Practice while you drive.  Get Treetop Turkeys and try to copy them.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

sugarray

Quote from: CASH on February 12, 2011, 03:38:09 PM
Take one with you everywhere you go.  Practice while you drive.  Get Treetop Turkeys and try to copy them.

Tree top turkeys is on iTunes as well and I think on Amazon as MP3.

new2turkey

Right now my sound is terrible, I've only got a slate call which I'm so-so with. Hopefully I'll be able to use a few different calls this year.. Thanks to CASH :).  Thanks again!!

jbrown

Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.....one day it will just work!!!!

savduck

The only way to learn is to keep trying. Ive been blowing them for about 12 years. Every year youll get better and better. I have different suggestions than some though.

1. Dont start with just a single or double reed. Everyones mouth is different and how you blow your air is different. When i started i couldnt make a sound with a single reed, in fact even to this day i cant blow one. I could get a  three or four reed call with a complex cut and make a sound. There are places on line where you can get CHEAP calls. 2.95 to 4.00. My suggestion is you buy a variety of calls to determine 1. the style of cut that you can blow 2. the number of reeds it takes for you to make a sound 3. the type of reeds you need ( Latex or prophatic). You will find that you usually can do more with one style over the other. Once you get that figured out start making noices. Dont be afraid to bend the frame or trim the tape a little to make it fit your mouth better. You want the call sealed to the top of your mouth.

2. They say to try saying words.........no, no, no. You wont get anywhere. You have to figure out how to get air to come from your gut and not "huff" the air. Almost like whistling...all the air coming out your mouth and not your nose. You start by just making screeching/squealing noises. After you get to the squealing you start learning to shut the air off with your jaws You have to just keep practicing to teach your jaw and tongue muscles to get the proper movement and control to start making noises. It will come but it takes time behind the wheel. 
Georgia Boy

new2turkey

Thanks for the advice!

I'm slowly getting better.

bornagain64

everyone is different, so listen to everyone and try everything, but do not give up.
I love hooks mouth calls, when you find one that works, # of reeds you need, order 1.
I purchased a cd from primos and hs strut, that also comes with some mouth calls, helped me alot. They give you words to say to achieve the sounds, not all of the calls are achieved with the words, but gives you an idea.
Also, keep the mouth calls out of the heat. If you cut a call, start by taking a little off all the way around the call. You can not add it back on. It has to seal tight on the roof of your mouth.
I have several jr sized calls, that work great for me. Give that a try.
Lastly, you want to huff the air over the top of the call, like you are trying to fog your glasses to clean them, not just blowing air.
          good luck. If you can learn 1 call each year on the mouth call you will be doing good.
   John