OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke tube suggestion

Started by FullChoke, February 08, 2020, 03:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

I have three turkey chokes for my Remington 870 Express, a Primos Jellyhead .570", a Carlsons @ .575" and a Remington Super Full that mikes @ .575" marked for Hevi Shot, steel or lead.

Which choke will likely give the best patterns for the Federal 20 gauge, 3", #9 TSS shells with the Flitecontrol Flex wads?

Thanks.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

2eagles

I have 2 of the 3 chokes you listed for my new 870 compact. If it wasn't the dead of winter with  winter weather advisory for tonight, I'd go check it out for you. I can't wait to go shoot and find my best option. Go to the range and have some fun man.

FullChoke

I have used these tubes with TSS handloads and the old Federal Heavyweight #7 shells with the FlightControl wads and got very good results. I see that the new TSS Feds state on the box that it is not necessary to use non-ported tubes with the redesigned wads. My frugal side hesitates at shooting up a box of these shells to figure out for myself what someone else may have already found. I am not advocating that someone else burn their shells for my knowledge, just hoping that this bridge has already been crossed.

Thanks.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

harleytom

Can't speak for an 870 but my SA459 patterned best with a .562 MADD (IC knockoff) for both Apex and Federal TSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I'm Trulock person myself .. 565 ....

Brwndg

I shoot an 11/87 compact and tried Trulock Fed HWT in .560, Carlson LBXR in .568, and Trulock TKY in .575.
Carson throws the best overall pattern for hunting in my gun,
then Trulock .575,
then Trulock .560

Posted all the numbers and patterns are here:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,94575.0.html
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend