News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TURKEY FANNING & REAPING, NOT LEGAL IN ALL STATES

Started by mookyj, January 13, 2020, 01:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Stupid question !!!!
I have been hunting turkeys for over 40 yrs and what the heck is reaping ???
Saved By Grace

Bowguy

Sneaking up to them behind a turkey tail fan. I'm sure you've seen it on tv

Rick

Nope , i quit watching those hunting shows years ago.  They were in a different world than us south Mississippi rednecks ..
Saved By Grace

Rick

When i was young , i belly crawled on a few in sage grass fields .. Does that count ???
Saved By Grace

Bowguy

Quote from: Rick on January 16, 2020, 09:05:53 AM
Nope , i quit watching those hunting shows years ago.  They were in a different world than us south Mississippi rednecks ..

I have no use for the infomercials they've become myself n never watch em.
Mississippi, ya got swampers there?

GobbleNut

Quote from: Rick on January 16, 2020, 08:55:29 AM
Stupid question !!!!
I have been hunting turkeys for over 40 yrs and what the heck is reaping ???

To expand on the explanation a bit:
The term "reaping" was coined by someone about five years ago (per my remembrance) to define the practice of using a strutting turkey imitation (decoy or fan) to approach a gobbler by hiding behind it and moving in on the bird. 

Amazingly enough, it is extremely effective in many cases and allows the "reaper" to approach gobblers very closely.  In fact, often a gobbler that sees the decoy/fan approaching will quite often run TO the decoy/fan and the reaper behind it.  Bottom line is that the practice preys on a gobblers instinct towards dominance,...i.e. challenging other gobblers nearby,... and has changed turkey hunting, and turkey hunting success, significantly.  Specifically, it has made dominant gobblers,...those that typically could not easily be called in by using a turkey call,...very susceptible to being killed. 

There are many "traditionalists",...those turkey hunters who feel that gobblers should only be killed by methods using turkey calls,...who frown on the practice of reaping.  Hence the discussion here.  Regardless of whether a hunter is of that mind-set or not, there are legitimate concerns about the safeness of reaping, and also about the potential impact upon turkey populations where the practice is significantly used in terms of increased gobbler harvest.

Rick

Quote from: Bowguy on January 16, 2020, 09:14:10 AM

LOL ,  I guess , we got plenty of swamps and some are heavy hunted .
Saved By Grace

Bowguy

Quote from: Rick on January 16, 2020, 09:25:46 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on January 16, 2020, 09:14:10 AM

My buddy from Mississippi. He's got some cool video of his dogs chasing em.
LOL ,  I guess , we got plenty of swamps and some are heavy hunted .

timberjack86

Quote from: warrent423 on January 14, 2020, 10:10:26 AM
Fanning is for fags. Any of you stupid sob's shoot me sitting against a tree, you better pray to God you kill me.
lol post of the year!! :TooFunny:

wchadw

Quote from: Bowguy on January 16, 2020, 08:58:38 AM
Seems like a good way to get shot in the face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchadw

Quote from: timberjack86 on January 18, 2020, 02:19:06 PM
Quote from: warrent423 on January 14, 2020, 10:10:26 AM
Fanning is for fags. Any of you stupid sob's shoot me sitting against a tree, you better pray to God you kill me.
lol post of the year!! :TooFunny:
X2

Bowguy

Quote from: wchadw on January 18, 2020, 02:23:03 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on January 16, 2020, 08:58:38 AM
Seems like a good way to get shot in the face?

Darwin's law brother

Missouri hunter

I haven't and will never use reaping or fanning to kill a turkey. I would rather it wasn't allowed on public land. (For safety) People should be able to do it an their own land and at their risk. I have a couple friends that use it to kill probably 80% of their birds but I don't go hunting with them. It's not the same thing as calling one in without decoy. I won't say my way is better, as I don't kill as many as they do, but the ones I get, I get the experience I want. Timber birds gobbling at my calls is what I want.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Rick

I dont get all the gimmicks . Been hunting turkeys 42 yrs . Guess Im just old fashion . I have never used decoys , blinds or scopes until this year i got a Fastfire 3 to help with my vision and glasses . I belly crawled a couple in sage grass when i was young , but the rest was called while sitting against a tree and calling . 
Saved By Grace

Rick

Saved By Grace