News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TURKEY FANNING & REAPING, NOT LEGAL IN ALL STATES

Started by mookyj, January 13, 2020, 01:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Quote from: Balla1982 on January 14, 2020, 10:32:22 PM
So everyone that is against reaping only turkey hunt?
Do you guys deer hunt and if so do you put out attractants, corn, etc?
Do you use scents?
Some states allow the use of dogs....that's worse than reaping in my book.

Same with waterfowl and hunting flooded corn, using motion decoys, spinning wing decoys, blah blah blah blah.

It's a method to outsmart your prey.

Allow me to elaborate why I feel bait is unsporting. You place a stand over bait. Your camera tells you what's there, what time to come. You simply either watch the wind if you're smart enough or use ozonics if you think that's an answer.
The deer are CONDITIONED. They show up on time than are shot. About as sporting as shooting a dog at the water bowl. Pretty easy and requires no woodsmanship or commitment.
Dog guys now are completely committed. Hound guys (of all sorts) typically run dogs all year. They breed to better their stock, they raise pups, start and finish em. Than they trade for something different.
They have food, care costs and it's more about the hunt, the chase than a dead animal. Again guys don't know what they don't know.
When I was in taxidermy school we ran coon hounds every night, never shot one, I run my hounds prob avg 3 days a week. Very often w no gun. In the winter slightly less, longer summer days more.
We ran bear hounds in Maine. How do you get any type hound, say bear hound? Deer hound, rabbit hound?
You need a commitment. They don't just happen. Buy a pup? Drop him on the ground n watch what happens. Nothing at first.
No simple drive to the feed store to litter the ground w some processed junk just so someone can get a great "hero" pic.
Again guys please there's no intent at any arguement. Just a very dif way of looking at things. Truth is among all LEGAL hunters we're all brothers.

One more comment. You mention "outsmarting prey". Hope you're smart enough to realize there's no outsmarting going on there. Just a weak arguement

eggshell

I would like to re-iterate that the primary argument against reaping is not or should not be about the ethics of the method, but the safety of the practice. The crux of the argument (at least mine ) is it predisposes the hunter to serious injury. Beyond that, it's a choice debate. When I worked for DNR I had first hand experience with several fatal or near fatal hunting accidents. It was in every case someone hunting legally, but not using safe practices. All these accidents destroyed families. Why, if you had the power to prevent this wouldn't you? If you can guarantee me that, absolutely in every case, reaping would always be done safely, I'd say to each his own method go for it. For the argument that it's only the hunter behind the fan that is hurt, if he wants to take the risk it's his choice. That's not true. His family pays a price with him and the shooter does too. Maybe his kids go the rest of their lives without one parent, there may be huge medical bills, they may be permanently disabled and the family will have to compensate. The shooter will at least get arrested and fined or imprisoned. They will likely get sued and the landowner may get sued. It goes on and on. I know this all for a fact as I've been through it. Your life is changed forever! Tell me why if you could prevent this from happening to anyone wouldn't  you. Is your pursuit of happiness an absolute inalienable right so much that you have the right to endanger not only yourself but others?

Bowguy

KentuckyLB

I say shoot them how ever its legal in your state ..I don't knock it have done it myself and thought it was pretty fascinating especially dealing with field turkeys that fly down into the middle of a 50 acre field and do not leave it all day and fly straight back to roost.

Then again I do not shoot a turkey fans.. I shoot a turkey heads on  turkeys I am working. Those involved in accidents where people are shot behind a fan need to be locked up with the rest of the crazy`s...To each they`re own though. :icon_thumright:

trkehunr93

Personally I'm taking it to the next level this spring and buying a domestic bronze gobbler and putting a leash on him and taking him on walks in the woods and thru fields.  I'm thinking one of those retractable leashes so he can get way out in front of me and I'll walk and call behind him to keep him gobbling so he'll piss off the rest of the gobblers and they'll come running.  I'm going to invest in some kevlar as well, I think this will be a productive way to fill a tag this spring.

chadly

The "safety" is always the argument from those against it.  However read through and look at all the sarcasm in the thread.  I believe safety is a large reason many say they are against it as being an open purist is tougher to argue.  We had young man die last year in my town deer hunting with his hunting group.  Another member from his group shot him while dressed in orange.  What should we illegalize to correct another shooting?  I get it we all have our way of doing things and would like to see our way prevail.  I'm not sure how I really feel about the topic but I'm convinced safety is not the number one reason people are against it.  When I first started turkey hunting I did not realize blinds were evil, that decoys were cheating, and now reaping is the devil himself.  As I get more experienced over the last 15 years of hunting a gun, a seat, and a call is all I really like to take.  Jakes no longer interest me as they would have been shot first bird opening morning years ago.  My point is the trophy is in the eye of the beholder and how they harvested their trophy and are pleased with such manor is up to them.  Carry on.

KentuckyLB

Quote from: chadly on January 15, 2020, 12:40:08 PM

The "safety" is always the argument from those against it.  However read through and look at all the sarcasm in the thread.  I believe safety is a large reason many say they are against it as being an open purist is tougher to argue.  We had young man die last year in my town deer hunting with his hunting group.  Another member from his group shot him while dressed in orange.  What should we illegalize to correct another shooting?  I get it we all have our way of doing things and would like to see our way prevail.  I'm not sure how I really feel about the topic but I'm convinced safety is not the number one reason people are against it.  When I first started turkey hunting I did not realize blinds were evil, that decoys were cheating, and now reaping is the devil himself.  As I get more experienced over the last 15 years of hunting a gun, a seat, and a call is all I really like to take.  Jakes no longer interest me as they would have been shot first bird opening morning years ago.  My point is the trophy is in the eye of the beholder and how they harvested their trophy and are pleased with such manor is up to them.  Carry on.

Well Said ...to each they`re own long as its legal kill`em.

eggshell

QuoteI'm not sure how I really feel about the topic but I'm convinced safety is not the number one reason people are against it. 

When you have had an 1 1/2" hole blown through your thigh and had to scramble to get a tourniquet around your leg before you bled to death, struggle to get 3/4 mile back to your truck and then be life flighted to a trauma center and spend a year recovering and a year a half fighting legal battles .....you can talk to me about my feelings on safety as an excuse for my purist attitude.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: eggshell on January 15, 2020, 05:53:18 PM
QuoteI'm not sure how I really feel about the topic but I'm convinced safety is not the number one reason people are against it. 

When you have had an 1 1/2" hole blown through your thigh and had to scramble to get a tourniquet around your leg before you bled to death, struggle to get 3/4 mile back to your truck and then be life flighted to a trauma center and spend a year recovering and a year a half fighting legal battles .....you can talk to me about my feelings on safety as an excuse for my purist attitude.
What does your being shot have to do with this guys opinion about the reason most people are against it? I'm against it because it's a corner cutting cheap way to try and kill a Gobbler. The fact that some retard might get shot holding a turkey fan is irrelevant.  Since you like telling the story exactly how did an arrow blow a 1 1/2 " hole through  your thigh? Was he shooting explosive tipped arrows or what?
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

bbcoach

Quote from: Bowguy on January 15, 2020, 07:09:21 AM
Do you use scents?

Same with waterfowl and hunting flooded corn, using motion decoys, spinning wing decoys, blah blah blah blah.

Allow me to elaborate why I feel bait is unsporting. You place a stand over bait. Your camera tells you what's there, what time to come. You simply either watch the wind if you're smart enough or use ozonics if you think that's an answer.
The deer are CONDITIONED. They show up on time than are shot. About as sporting as shooting a dog at the water bowl. Pretty easy and requires no woodsmanship or commitment.
Dog guys now are completely committed. Hound guys (of all sorts) typically run dogs all year. They breed to better their stock, they raise pups, start and finish em. Than they trade for something different.
They have food, care costs and it's more about the hunt, the chase than a dead animal. Again guys don't know what they don't know.
When I was in taxidermy school we ran coon hounds every night, never shot one, I run my hounds prob avg 3 days a week. Very often w no gun. In the winter slightly less, longer summer days more.
We ran bear hounds in Maine. How do you get any type hound, say bear hound? Deer hound, rabbit hound?
You need a commitment. They don't just happen. Buy a pup? Drop him on the ground n watch what happens. Nothing at first.
No simple drive to the feed store to litter the ground w some processed junk just so someone can get a great "hero" pic.
Again guys please there's no intent at any arguement. Just a very dif way of looking at things. Truth is among all LEGAL hunters we're all brothers.

One more comment. You mention "outsmarting prey". Hope you're smart enough to realize there's no outsmarting going on there. Just a weak arguement
MISCONCEPTION is the word HERE.  Some of you are against baiting (think it is a SLAM dunk)!  WRONG!  Some think running deer with dogs is wrong as well.  If you haven't tried these legal means more than once and haven't hunted VERY DENSE pine plantations then MISCONCEPTION comes into play.  Reaping is a legal means of hunting as is baiting and running dogs, just because you are against it or have a MISCONCEPTION concerning the methods doesn't make it wrong.  We can ALL agree, we have to stand together.  Hunting is being attacked, let's Stick together and not attack each other.  If it's legal and you want to participate GREAT.

eggshell

Ok LaLongbeard, the hole was cut through my leg....it still was a life threatening injury.

Yes, I tell it a lot and many have encouraged me to, as a reminder to be safe.

I felt the comment was directed at me as  falsely using safety as an excuse. I actually think fanning is a novel technique, but it just seems way to dangerous. 

It's a shame so many topics that could be really good discussions turn so vial on here, and I confess I sometimes get too emotional and just add to the discord. It's a great sport and we do not do it any service when we get into these pissing matches. We all feel strongly about our positions and that's ok, but we also need to keep personal attacks out of it, yes I'm talking to myself as well.

I am ashamed that I let a forum that should be fun and informative bring the worst out in me. I really am not a bitter person. So i think it's best I sign off from old gobbler and at least take time away and maybe just leave the forum for good. I have had many good conversations on here and come to know some very fine turkey hunters.

Eggshell signing off
Good hunting

Bowguy

Quote from: bbcoach on January 15, 2020, 10:25:23 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on January 15, 2020, 07:09:21 AM
Do you use scents?

MISCONCEPTION is the word HERE.  Some of you are against baiting (think it is a SLAM dunk)!  WRONG!  Some think running deer with dogs is wrong as well.  If you haven't tried these legal means more than once and haven't hunted VERY DENSE pine plantations then MISCONCEPTION comes into play.  Reaping is a legal means of hunting as is baiting and running dogs, just because you are against it or have a MISCONCEPTION concerning the methods doesn't make it wrong.  We can ALL agree, we have to stand together.  Hunting is being attacked, let's Stick together and not attack each other.  If it's legal and you want to participate GREAT.

I never said baiting could be a slam dunk. If you're sloppy or overhunt it things could get tough. But if you're careful, hunt it correctly or if weather is bad, food sources gone and let it rest it's certainly a much easier way than hunting. Remember you're conditioning game to be somewhere, not hunting them. As I said we are all brothers. If it's legal we really can't fault anyone for it but we can't act like it's something it's not. Bait is certainly unsporting and requires a pretty basic skill set. That's a fact.
No misconception here, only a smokescreen  to divert attention from the reality imo. Again no intent to argue, just a very dif opinion. One you're entitled to defend, one I'm as entitled to have distaste for. I don't judge you for it though. Hope that made sense.

Ihuntoldschool

For the sake of safety you don't want to wear anything red, white, or blue while turkey hunting. That's one of the basic safety rules. Common sense should dictate that you don't want to crawl behind a fake gobbler or his tailfan unless you want to get shot or shot at. One thing that amazes me in all the "Someone shot my jake/gobbler decoy" threads is that the decoy hunter places all the blame on the shooter. The hunter that takes that risk and places a gobbler/jake decoy that close to them bears some responsibility for creating an unsafe situation.

bbcoach

Thanks Bowguy for the clarification and Well Said.  I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers, just stating that some have misconceptions concerning things for various reasons.  Reaping looks really fun and a RUSH but I don't reap and haven't tried it because of the elevated risk of getting shot or shot at.  With that being said, if it's legal and you want to give it a go, then have at it.  Just remember, each of us have to WEIGH ALL risks that go with our decisions.

GobbleNut

Here's a possible solution for the reaping problem.  Everybody should start going out before the season and go through the reaping motions with a decoy, fan, or whatever your favorite reaping tool might be,...and when you get close, just scare the sh!t out of the birds!  After they have been through that a few times, gobblers will learn to avoid reapers like the proverbial plague!