turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using metal for a sounding board

Started by Cool Ridge Clucker, December 13, 2019, 10:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Ridge Clucker

Do you guys have any advise towards the notion of using metal (aluminum, copper, brass or tin) for a sounding board in a pot?  I hadn't read much about anyone doing that and was curious what kind of results one might get from using metal there.  Maybe I just missed it and people do this all that time.  I just haven't come across it yet.

Cool Ridge Clucker

I say that then suddenly I see posts about glass over aluminum.  It pays to read more.  Has anyone tried using really thin metal like tin for such a thing?

outdoors

Me personally like copper
Everything you might consider using has a different density to it , it's what you like or turkeys
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Cool Ridge Clucker

Ok.  Thanks.  I appreciate the input.  I'll experiment with them all to see what is pleasing to the ear.  I was curious as to what kind of sound you might get from using a snuff can tin lid as a sounding board just as novelty.

JLH

Quote from: Cool Ridge Clucker on December 13, 2019, 11:50:52 AM
Ok.  Thanks.  I appreciate the input.  I'll experiment with them all to see what is pleasing to the ear.  I was curious as to what kind of sound you might get from using a snuff can tin lid as a sounding board just as novelty.

You could glue the snuff can lid to a piece of slate or glass.

Id think just the lid wont have enough density to actually opperate as a sound board.

Trial and error is your only resource....you'll make a lot of firewood finding the right dimentions for each soundboard material.

bdirks

Metal sound boards are not uncommon. I have a Slate over Aluminum call that sounds fantastic. I plan having Wendell Rye build me a glass over aluminum call and a glass or crystal over Copper call. The metal tone board gives the call more ring on the end. It is unique. I am always chasing a different sound. I am a bit of a call enthusiast.  All of my calls are built by Wendell Rye at Lights Out. He does fantastic work. Here is a list of what I have...
Slate over Glass
Slate over Slate
Slate over Aluminum
Glass over Glass
Glass over Slate
Glass over Wood
Stainless over Acrylic
Copper over Acrylic
Anodized aluminum over acrylic

misfire

All of my slate calls I use aluminum soundboards.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Happy hooker

Longbeardfever4ever

I really like aluminum as a soundboard under glass and aluminum.

Tried copper a couple times. Made a good Jake yelper.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

TurkeyHunterML

Quote from: JLH on December 13, 2019, 12:36:31 PM
Quote from: Cool Ridge Clucker on December 13, 2019, 11:50:52 AM

You could glue the snuff can lid to a piece of slate or glass.

Id think just the lid wont have enough density to actually opperate as a sound board.

Trial and error is your only resource....you'll make a lot of firewood finding the right dimentions for each soundboard material.

https://youtu.be/yXvvDFbbyGU  Here is my first dip lid call. No backing, just the lid.
Mike Lenga Calls (ML Calls)

TurkeyHunterML

Mike Lenga Calls (ML Calls)

merriamsman

Quote from: Happy hooker on January 09, 2020, 04:18:14 AM
Clemson over LSU by 4

Ha, just noticed this! LSU by 17. Greatest team of all time. Geaux (Real) Tigers!

Gunzy

Crystal sounds good on top of aluminum. I've made a few that way and it give the call a good ring.

SC_WILDMAN

I have a crystal over brass in a mahogany pot. Best sounding pot I own.

misfire

Every slate call I make has an aluminum soundboard in it
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net