OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who keeps a log?

Started by t_eagen13, February 12, 2011, 02:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Fire

I'd say its a good idea so you can look back and see what worked and what didnt, mite be some info you wrote down that'll make the difference in get'n the bird your after now.

mountman62

I have a list of all the birds I have killed, date, location, weight, spurs, beard, state, just for my info, also have a list of deer for a few years, just finally quit on the deer, computer didn't have enough space, also have pictures of almost every turkey, and also almost every buck
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

ThicketThrasher

I kept one when I grouse hunted. Kept up with quite a bit of information along with just some details of each hunt. I quit keeping the log the last couple of years I hunted and have never really kept one for any other type of hunting or fishing.

Gobblerdn1

I started one once and update it when I think of it. The kind of things I keep up with are: The # days I hunt each spring, how long each day, the weather conditions, number of birds I hear and approximate number of gobbles. As far as the numbers of birds I've killed I don't keep up with that. I save the beards from all the ones I have taken personally and keep pictures of the ones that I call up for others. As for keeping up with the numbers of turkeys I have killed, that is not important to me it's the memories behind the birds that should get me stirred up.

Basser69

I did it when I tourney fished with dates, times, locations, water temps, water clarity and conditions, as well as moon phases. I have never done it hunting. I wish I would have.

Odessa

I started keeping a hunting journal in 1983, wish I had started ten years earlier.  I have every hunt recorded, some have pictures, I list the type game, gun & ammo, partners, conditions, and details of the hunt - whatever struck me as important or interesting at the time.  I enjoy reading about the old hunts, especially the partners who no longer hunt or who have passed on.  It takes a lot of discipline to sit down while it is fresh and record it all.  I used to hand write it, but I use a MS Word standard layout now.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

unclerick

I started one and still keep it up to date, I write the date, place with bird specs and how the kill happened, I put a little story with it telling the calling technique and call I used, also put in some memorable hunts were I or me and Wes hunted and didn't kill a bird but came close and tell the reasons why, it's kinda neat to look back on from time to time.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

chrisun

I think its a great idea! Just have to start.
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

surehuntsalot

I keep one every year on all my turkey hunts
it's not the harvest,it's the chase