turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who keeps a log?

Started by t_eagen13, February 12, 2011, 02:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_eagen13

Any body keep a log or journal of some sort to remember the deer/turkey they've taken? I'm thinking about putting all of the deer and turkeys I've killed into a spreadsheet on the computer to remember the specifics of each bird or deer. For turkeys I think I'm going to have categories such as date, location, weight, spur/beard length, other hunters that were hunting with me, the gun/bow I shot it with. I think it would be cool to look back when I'm older and have this information to remember each hunt a little better. Any one do something like this? Anyone have any other things they would want to write down?

new2turkey

I've seen it done with a scrapbook... With a picture of each bird /deer and everyone there... Everything is recorded in the book. I plan on doing the same.

TANK

I started one when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade and kept up with it for a little wile, but eventually slacked off. I wish now I would have kept up with it over the years.......

CASH

I've done it with fishing but not hunting.  Keep saying I want to do it with turkeys, but I never do.  I do however write the date and stats of each bird on the fired hull it died from.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

fallsflight

I keep track with photo albums.  It's basically the same thing and the details are either written on the page or on the back of the photo depending on the style of album i am filling at the time.  I have turkeys, waterfowl and deer in the ablums.

OldMarine

I've kept a turkey hunting  journal the past 30 years of my 50 year turkey hunting  career.May write a book someday.It's fun to reread hunts on some of the clubs and remember the character gobblers you couldn't kill.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

VA_Birdhunter

I think keeping a log book is good idea...like some of you I wish I would have started doing it back when I started turkey hunting but I was 9 then and it was just not on the brain then.  I always take pictures and keep them but a log would be nice to go along with it.  I also do what CASH does and write the stats on my hull.  God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Spellnj3

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Jay

I only do for our Musky fishing in Canada. Never have for hunting.

Preacher

Its a great idea too,  think about what it will mean to those you hunted with after you passed.
Romans 8:37

MDbowman

Have kept a log since 1983. Used to be in notebooks, the last 6 or 7 years on a spreadsheet. I did transfer the kill log over to the spreadsheet. Have different pages for waterfowl, deer and turkey.

timbrhuntr

I have been keeping a log for about 20 years. I have several note books that I write down each day I hunted in. I put in the weather, location etc. and if I kill something I add the stats. I also take lots of pics but keep them in seperate files on my computer.

VAHUNTER

i keep one om the turkey i kill as well as just good hunts. i dont keep record of deer . probably should
Good things come to those who wait

turkaholic

I've keep a log for over 16 years and have found it to be a very worthy. I find myself going back over it every year as I get primed for the upcoming season. It has trip info from away hunts as well as local hunts from home. My  away hunts seem to get more detailed because I can't easly scout these spots so I look back at my log to help me recall. I also down load from my GPS all my kill locations and install them on Google Earth so I can view them as a whole. I keep other hunter info in there as I hunt with the same people most of the time. Its great, when one of my brothers think they know how it went down, we only  have to look at the  log to set the record straight.
live to hunt hunt to live

northms

I took a log of deer bow hunting one year but ended up not finishing it through out the year.  Thinking about doing one for turkeys this yr now that you mention it.