turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys and stainless?

Started by treein dixie, November 23, 2019, 01:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treein dixie

Have a all stainless gun id like to turkey hunt with.  Whats the thoughts  on turkeys seeing it.  Is the color the issue or just the movement?  Cant bring myself to painting it and wrapping wouldn't work well Its a vent rib and break action.  Thanks

Its a  TC contender the dipping it would kill the value in my opinion!!
Its more of a dull stainless but don't want to call and release over the gun either.

dirt road ninja

I doubt it will hurt you at all. Sit in the shade and don't wave it at them.

Southerngobbler

Anytime you carry something reflective into the hunting woods you are handicapping yourself. You can't stay in the shadows forever. When the light hits it just right from the animals point of view it will flash and it's game over. I have seen guys slipping through the woods with blued shotguns that were shiny or reflective and when the sun hit it just right it would flash, that's how I would knew they were there and it's a dead giveaway. It might not be a problem on a rifle type hunt but im sure most game animals don't overlook that flash.

1iagobblergetter

I agree. You might get away with it sometimes,but you might end up with more call and release than most guys would want..

sasquatch1

Get that thing dipped!

I'm sure I could kill with stainless but there's no way it won't have some affect.

We wait all year for 1 month of hunting and just have way to many things against us from the start to handicap ourselves

One bird spooks from it and I guarantee you will regret it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: sasquatch1 on November 23, 2019, 02:36:37 PM
Get that thing dipped!

I'm sure I could kill with stainless but there's no way it won't have some affect.

We wait all year for 1 month of hunting and just have way to many things against us from the start to handicap ourselves

X2

Yoteduster

Quote from: Greg Massey on November 23, 2019, 03:07:44 PM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on November 23, 2019, 02:36:37 PM
Get that thing dipped!

X2
x3

crow

for non-permanent camo, cut a long strip of 2" wide thin camo netting and wrap it around the barrel.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bonasa

Quote from: treein dixie on November 23, 2019, 01:15:42 PM
Have a all stainless gun id like to turkey hunt with.  Whats the thoughts  on turkeys seeing it.  Is the color the issue or just the movement?  Cant bring myself to painting it and wrapping wouldn't work well Its a vent rib and break action.  Thanks

Its a  TC contender the dipping it would kill the value in my opinion!!
Its more of a dull stainless but don't want to call and release over the gun either.

I wouldn't hunt with a stainless firearm in the woods for turkeys. You don't have any other firearm available? Gotta be the only person without a beater 870 kicking around, for the cost of dipping you could find a used one.

3bailey3

I wouldn't  try it, I am still amazed out how fast a gobbler can pick out my orange vest 15 feet up a tree while deer hunting, and I am not moving any!

2eagles

If it's the same stainless as my Encore, take the darn thing hunting. It's such a low shine finish, I've seen blued barrels reflect sun much worse.

treein dixie

Yes it's the flat dull finish.

the Ward

Just buy a roll of camo tape and wrap it. Been putting camo tape on a Bps upland with a vent rib barrel for over 20 years. Bluing and finish still look great.      Or get one of the mossy oak vinyl camo wrap kits, they work well and are a more long term solution while still being removable.