turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favourite striker for grey slate

Started by PEte_A, October 22, 2019, 07:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEte_A

Well, I've rounded out a group of a few grey skates that I'm very happy with. Looking to add a few new strikers that will excel on grey slate pots and thought I'd seek the sage advice of you folks. So if you could only have a couple strikers for grey slate what would you be carrying?

Cheers, Pete

Sir-diealot

Ipe and hickory come to mind right off. Oh and maybe persimmon.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

shatcher

Clay Townsend's snakewood with a persimmon top.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

bobk

JLH just made me several strikers for my gray slates which I am extremely pleased with. I would suggest contacting Jeff.

wchadw

Black locust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDTOM84

David Halloran's one piece persimmon is by far my favorite for grey slate but I also really like Halloran's one piece bloodwood too.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: MDTOM84 on October 22, 2019, 10:00:40 PM
David Halloran's one piece persimmon is by far my favorite for grey slate but I also really like Halloran's one piece bloodwood too.
My Ipe is one of his one piece strikers, man I love that thing.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Double B

Tulip poplar and ramin for soft talk, hickory all around striker for most situations. 
Followed by buzzards

cutt down

Quote from: shatcher on October 22, 2019, 08:59:39 PM

This.....and it runs on anything!

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

X2 ... Clay... snakewood with persimmon top is absolutely one of the best.. he also makes one with Osage top that is awesome also.. 

PEte_A

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, really appreciate it!

JLH

Id have to ask what do you want your grey slate to sound like?
There are a bunch of options to get the sound youre looking to get out of that call.

Gog1015

Quote from: Greg Massey on October 23, 2019, 07:08:27 PM
X2 ... Clay... snakewood with persimmon top is absolutely one of the best.. he also makes one with Osage top that is awesome also..

X3 the snakewood persimmon and snakewood Osage clay Townsend strikers are awesome and sing on everything!