turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Has turkey hunnting become less popular

Started by eggshell, October 17, 2019, 12:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

It really comes down to each hunter individually deciding how much company he is willing to endure.  If there is too much company to his liking, he must move or quit.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Loyalist84

In my experience, very few of the old/middle age (45+) guys who hunt are turkey hunters in my area - most are deer exclusive with a few who hunt coyotes in the winter or moose. However, despite being a much smaller hunting demographic in the area, all the young folks (20-35) I know who hunt, are turkey hunters in addition to whatever else they hunt. However, we've only had turkeys in my area in huntable numbers within the last 15-ish years, so lots of folks simply never took it up, whereas those of us who became adult hunters after the re-introduction of birds hunted them from the onset. I also live in an agricultural area with little to no Crown Land, so unless you have an in with the farmer or have birds in your deer hunting spot, you're out of luck. Hard for a new guy with no contacts to show up to the area and start into the sport.

ShootingABN!

Sure isn't on the decline in Mississippi.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: guesswho on October 17, 2019, 12:36:10 PM
There's a shortage of turkey hunters in the Southeast, but no shortage of people trying to play the part.
well said...
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

fallhnt

As the population goes,so does the bandwagon. Fall is less popular but most fun time to be a turkey hunter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy