OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Late season VA Gobbler

Started by struttin_1, May 06, 2011, 09:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

struttin_1

The third time was the charm with this bird. I had not hunted this property until the last half of the season. The first encounter with him came after the storms that rocked you guys down south had hit us in the early morning hours of 4/28. The rain let up at around 7:15 that morning and I headed for the 10 acre wood lot that this bird hangs around. (It's a tough spot since the wood lot is surrounded by fields on all sides and two of those are off the property I have permission on.)
I found him that morning strutting out in the neighbors field with 4 hens. After an hour of calling on and off he finally worked his way the 150 yards across the field and was within 7 yards of the fence...but behind a cedar tree. Just then I heard a truck door slam and talking...well birds went running everywhere. Guys had showed up to work on a house on the farm next door....game over for that day.
The second time was the morning of 5/2...I decided to try him before work. While walking the edge of the wood lot he gobbled on the roost 3 times...and was in the worst spot. Right in the corner of the wood lot that by the corner of the property...he flies down on the neighbor and never makes a sound...so off to work I went.
Since our season came in all day I decided to try him in the afternoon..knowing he likes to roost in that wood lot and hoping I could get in there before him. Making a big sweeping move around the bottom of the field to keep from being spotted I made my towards the lot. Finally got setup at about 3 and called every so often. At 4:50 I spotted movement after I had just called. There he was! I gave him 3 or 4 yelps and he walked behind some green ground cover. I moved the gun on him and waited. Wondering where he went I looked to my right and noticed a red and white head looking my way. He had circled to my right and was standing on a log at 50 yards looking for that hen. I softly  purred and clucked and that was all it took. He hopped off the log dropping into a little depression long enough for me to swing the gun on him and when he  popped back up at 36 yards it was game over at 4:55! My biggest bird to this day was on the ground! The Trifecta from Perfection had knocked down bird #2 for me this year!

23 lbs.
11" beard
1 1/4" and 1 5/16" spurs

My nephew couldn't wait to get a picture with me and the bird...he is my future hunting buddy!

Hognutz

Way to go, Struttin. He is a dandy. Congrats on a very nice gobbler..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

That is a dang good bird! Congrats on a great hunt  :z-guntootsmiley:

bowhunter84

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

WyoHunter

Great bird and nice pic! Congrats on trickin' him!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Wrangler95

:anim_65: :anim_65:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

cannonball

strutnva

3.5inchpainfulldeath

man thats a beauty.....  congrats...

vaturkey

Congrats on a great gobbler !! :newmascot:
Vaturkey

trkehunr93

forcercon1

That is a great bird!!!! I hunt in Southern VA, "Brunswick county", and the birds were gobbling like crazy on Saturday.... I went Wed. & Thursday without hearing a bird. What have you been hearing? 

J.Davidson

Congrats on a nice Gobbler sometimes thats the way you gotta take them older birds, by complete and total suprise :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :newmascot:

Flydown

Awesome Turkey Bird! Congrats! Great picture with your nephew! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: