OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Here's A Great Choke For Rem Barrels-Lead Or Hevi-13

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, February 12, 2011, 01:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thought I would pass this on for guys wanting one of the best chokes for the money for Remington barrels shooting either lead or Hevi-13 loads.  This is the cheapest place I know to get this choke.  I have one and it shoots very well with Hevi-13 #7 loads.  Just passing on to others who like a great deal when they see it.  I'm guessing they still have those chokes for the link still works.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=956890&filter=ventilator&catid=0

3" 870 Shell Shucker

That is a great price on that choke.  I have one, and it shot 155 in 10" with H13 3-2-6.  It also placed 196 #7.5 pellets on a sheet of paper at 30 Yards, out of a 1.25 Oz. Fiocchi Pheasant Load.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I have put over 270 shot in a 10" with the Hevi-13 2oz #7 load.  This choke should do a lot better than 155 with the 6's I would think.  I would think more like 200 plus would be capable from this choke but I haven't shot 6's yet.  But you can look at this target that is 11"x11" and see that it shoots 7's very well.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/526/DSCF0142.jpg

That will very easily kill one at 50yds.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

3-2-7 #'s and 3-2-6 #'s don't always closely relate to one another.

A SSX choke I used last year got 143 with H13 3-1.75-6, and 255 with H13 3-2-7.

Smaller pellets normally do better in really tight chokes, than larger pellets do.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And this was the 10" numbers from that pattern above.  I had that target above taped to this cardboard backer.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well 155 shot with 6's isn't really worth writing home about.  I'm pretty sure my barrel will do around 200 with this choke and the 6's.  I'll find out soon.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteWell 155 shot with 6's isn't really worth writing home about.  I'm pretty sure my barrel will do around 200 with this choke and the 6's.  I'll find out soon.

There's only one way to find out.

With 1.75 Ounces of #6 H13, I got:
Kick's GT .665 = 130-140???
SSX .643 = 143
IC .665 = 155
PG .665 = 157

With 2 Ounces of #6 H13, I got:
Rem Vent .655 = 155

ILIKEHEVI-13

You got that right.  I didn't mean anything bad about the 155 with the 6's that you got.  I just would have thought it would perform better even with 6's.  I think Rem should have made this choke .660 and it really would have hummed.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: blue66 on February 12, 2011, 05:13:04 PM
That is a lead only choke.

That choke was made before the Hevi-Shot craze started.  And it will work just like one that says Hevi-Shot stamped on it.  The same can be said for Kicks chokes, or the HS Undertaker chokes.  All the Hevi_Shot stamps put on chokes for the most part to my knowledge was just a marketing ploy.  The ones that are marked Hevi-Shot were made from the exact same steel.  Most all chokes now days are made from 17-PH(pre-hardened) stainless steel.  

Talk to Reloader on here and he too will tell you that the Ventilator choke will work with Hevi-13 loads. And it shoots them very well for the price.  

pullit

I am running a Ventilator choke on my 870 SM right now and have used one on several other 870's as well. I have shot almost nothing but H13 shells out of them. In the testing I have done, only the IC chokes were better. I am sure I have not tested as many different chokes as many of you but like the first post said, it is hard to beat for the money.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I can tell you this to that when Flambeau bought out Lohman and the MAD Max chokes they took over all existing rights of those chokes prior made to the takeover.  I called them since the chokes did not say Hevi-Shot approved and was made before the Hevi-Shot craze and I ask them if the Lohman Long Shot I had was Hevi-Shot approved and they told me yes it is and it is ok to shoot Hevi-Shot through the choke.  There you go.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Click this and you can see that Flambeau still deals with Indian Creek which was the same company that made the MAD Max chokes and the MAD Super Max chokes.  

Now they have the new MAD Gobbler Max.

http://hunting.flambeauoutdoors.com/otdrs_hunting/turkey_hunting/choke_tubes.asp

ILIKEHEVI-13

blue66

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 12, 2011, 07:09:12 PM
And if you still aren't convinced you can call them yourself to see what I said is true.

http://hunting.flambeauoutdoors.com/otdrs_hunting/contact_us.html
I don't recall questioning what you said in the first place, take a chill pill.