OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hen Box

Started by rakkin6, January 26, 2021, 03:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkin6

I got a Hen Box from Mr. Matt Fulkerson a few months back. And it is a super nice call and he is a great guy. But what I soon realized was a hen Box was nothing like running a regular box call. Needless to say I tried to practice with it has much has could and still do. I think I am at about a 90% solution with it now. Can run it pretty good but every now and then I will mess up on one of the passes and not give it that little tilt back up towards the opposite side. But by the time the season rolls around I should be good to go. Glad I got it early there is a learning curve.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Tom007

No worries. Turkeys have horrible vocabularies. Sometimes a slip or squeal closes the deal......good luck....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Yes , congrats on the hen box , with a hen box you have to get the feel of how it wants to be played and finessed. With short boxes you run those calls...

rakkin6

And it could just be because I am new at it but it seems.like hen boxes like chalk a little more than a regular box. But like I said it could just be me.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

Quote from: rakkin6 on January 26, 2021, 04:02:20 PM
And it could just be because I am new at it but it seems.like hen boxes like chalk a little more than a regular box. But like I said it could just be me.

Yes , they like chalk , that's one of the reasons they have the checkering on the bottom of the lid is to hold the chalk..

rakkin6

Good to know I thought I just sucked at life lol.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Nathan_Wiles

I also came up on Matt's list this year and have been learning how play a hen box Definitely an instrument that can do a lot of different turkeys. Very cool learning to utilize it. I still get some unexpected sounds but my skill is coming along. Excited to take it out for real test in April. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rakkin6

Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on January 26, 2021, 09:34:41 PM
I also came up on Matt's list this year and have been learning how play a hen box Definitely an instrument that can do a lot of different turkeys. Very cool learning to utilize it. I still get some unexpected sounds but my skill is coming along. Excited to take it out for real test in April. Good luck to you.

Good luck to you also I love the raspiness of it on the back end. Man mine sounds like an old hen. And they sound great cackling with them.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

rakkin6

This is the one I got from him. It is Mora and Black Limba

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Nathan_Wiles

Mine is Bloodwood over Black Limba.
I have found a nasty, old raspy skank of a hen and sweet young Jenny plus a nasal irritating bossy old gal. I'm sure there are more to be had, I practice with it about once a week.

Nathan_Wiles

Here is my M2

rakkin6

Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on January 27, 2021, 10:01:21 AM
Here is my M2

Nice

DE OPPRESSO LIBER