only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can only pick one!

Started by wvmntnhick, August 14, 2019, 09:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 14, 2019, 11:55:58 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 14, 2019, 11:30:30 PM
.243 Winchester for sure. I would have to figure out a load that would not rip up the hides though. If I could pick second I would take .222 Winchester to limit hide damage.
Why not the triple deuce for everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know this comment is going to be argued, I do not feel it is an ethical deer round.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

wvmntnhick

The 6.5 creed gets a ton of press these days. It's not really done anything that the 260 didn't do before. I blame Remington for poor marketing. They haven't faired well in that department. Had the same issue with the 280 but it's making a slow comeback. Bullet selection has more to do with that though.

Hornady has done a great job marketing their stuff though. That's the largest reason the 6.5 has gained the credit it has. And look at everything else they've hammered hard. They're all doing well and going strong. Their personal cartridges have failed miserably but stuff they've been behind for others they've really been able to get moving quite nicely.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 15, 2019, 12:07:18 AM
.243 Winchester for sure. I would have to figure out a load that would not rip up the hides though. If I could pick second I would take .222 Winchester to limit hide damage.

I know this comment is going to be argued, I do not feel it is an ethical deer round.
Well, argument is one way to look at it. Debate is a term that is more fitting I think. Would you then "argue" that the 223 isn't "ethical" for deer? If so, why?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 15, 2019, 12:10:35 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 15, 2019, 12:07:18 AM

Well, argument is one way to look at it. Debate is a term that is more fitting I think. Would you then "argue" that the 223 isn't "ethical" for deer? If so, why?

I would not based simply on the fact that I have ZERO experience with the .223 never even been around somebody shooting one whereas I own a .222 an old Savage Model 340 I got when my uncle passed away. I have to get out of this chair, my upper back is not doing well. I will come back to this when I wake up later today. Have a good night bud.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoteduster

strutnrut

22 mag and a one eyed dog.

Greg Massey

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 15, 2019, 12:08:19 AM
The 6.5 creed gets a ton of press these days. It's not really done anything that the 260 didn't do before. I blame Remington for poor marketing. They haven't faired well in that department. Had the same issue with the 280 but it's making a slow comeback. Bullet selection has more to do with that though.

Hornady has done a great job marketing their stuff though. That's the largest reason the 6.5 has gained the credit it has. And look at everything else they've hammered hard. They're all doing well and going strong. Their personal cartridges have failed miserably but stuff they've been behind for others they've really been able to get moving quite nicely.

I have both 260 and the 6.5 creedmoor and yes both are good guns , but i will still pick the 6.5 creedmoor .... another gun that could fall in this category is the 25-06 it's also a good gun... 7mm08 is another strong caliber....

zelmo1

6.5 creedmor. It even makes me a good shooter  :OGturkeyhead:

Dr Juice

7mm Rem Mag at 140-grains. A flat shooter with plenty of wallop and the recoil is still bearable for me.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Yoteduster on August 15, 2019, 12:32:24 AM
22-250 will do the job
Sure will. This is one I've never owned but still have spent some time with. Dad got a 22-250 for a song. It wouldn't shoot according to the owner. I reloaded some rounds for it and she's under 1/4". Hammers deer just fine and not to shabby on varmints either.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Dr Juice on August 15, 2019, 04:39:17 AM
7mm Rem Mag at 140-grains. A flat shooter with plenty of wallop and the recoil is still bearable for me.
7mm has some pretty good offerings on the market these days man. The plethora of bullets in the 0.284" really make anything "7" sing.

davisd9

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 14, 2019, 10:09:17 PM
For those that mentioned the 270, I'm with you. The 270 is still one of my favorite rounds for deer and black bears. Wouldn't be scared on elk either but that wasn't part of the original equation.

30-06 has absolutely been a cartridge I've given up on. I know it'll do everything and I think that's why I hate it so much. Not sure how many I've had over the years but I just can't seem to keep one in my possession. Now, the 308 mentioned, yup. Love that round. It's been very solid for me. Smoked more deer than I can count with the 308 and it's more than enough for coyotes.

Having said that, let's keep it going. Love the opinions so far.

My point was it would do what you were asking and more. 270 could easily be loaded down for smaller game and loaded back up for deer, etc.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wvmntnhick

Quote from: davisd9 on August 15, 2019, 05:54:48 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 14, 2019, 10:09:17 PM
For those that mentioned the 270, I'm with you. The 270 is still one of my favorite rounds for deer and black bears. Wouldn't be scared on elk either but that wasn't part of the original equation.

30-06 has absolutely been a cartridge I've given up on. I know it'll do everything and I think that's why I hate it so much. Not sure how many I've had over the years but I just can't seem to keep one in my possession. Now, the 308 mentioned, yup. Love that round. It's been very solid for me. Smoked more deer than I can count with the 308 and it's more than enough for coyotes.

Having said that, let's keep it going. Love the opinions so far.

My point was it would do what you were asking and more. 270 could easily be loaded down for smaller game and loaded back up for deer, etc.
Oh, I know. And totally wasn't arguing. If anyone ever needed one gun to cover all bases, that's the one to get. It's just done it so well for so long I personally find it a touch mundane. It's literally the one-stop-shop for cartridge selection.

Gobbler2577

257 AI.  I know, a lot of effort for modest gains, but I think the 257 is worth Ackley-izing.  A lot of bullet options for varmints and such and a 120 grain partition is more than adequate for the biggest of mule deer. 

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

bobk

280 AI would be my selection. One of the many fine cartridge to select from.