turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

FFIII or other sights

Started by treein dixie, August 13, 2019, 09:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treein dixie

Recently acquired a 500 20ga  and its drilled and tapped but previous owner mounted a pic rail on the rib just above the pump. 
What the advantage to moving the sight forward or installing on the action?  What type sight would you use that far forward? 

Thanks in advance!

wvmntnhick

Any kind of red dot would work. They've got limitless eye relief so, pick one and get shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixbird

Any quality red dot will work. Like like mtnhick said, unlimited eye relief. I like FF III.
I don't think there would be any appreciable advantage to mounting the sight forward.
They do make a saddle mount for that gun that doesn't require drilling and tapping. B-Square makes it.

roberthyman14

Quote from: sixbird on August 14, 2019, 06:25:20 PM
Any quality red dot will work. Like like mtnhick said, unlimited eye relief. I like FF III.
I don't think there would be any appreciable advantage to mounting the sight forward.
They do make a saddle mount for that gun that doesn't require drilling and tapping. B-Square makes it.
I have the b square mount for my 870.  I will be putting it on soon. All it takes is a punch, hammer and a friend to hold it steady. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: sixbird on August 14, 2019, 06:25:20 PM
Have y'all had any issues with those saddle mounts? I had one some time ago and never really cared for it. It mounted easy enough but for reasons I can't explain, just wasn't a fan. Ended up having the gun drilled n tapped.

I'll say this though. I've not used any "high dollar" red dots. In fact, I think I've got a truglo, bsa and one that carries the Traditions name that is bet solid money came down the assembly line right beside the bsa's. Think my wife got me a Burris FFIII for my birthday tho. Won't know for another 8 days but fairly certain that's what it is. Hope it doesn't jade my opinion of red dots.

Back on topic, if it's got a rail already on it, just mount your dot and start shooting. Good luck brother.

James gang

I have a few red dots the ff3 being my favorite i like mine mounted about as far back as i can get it the farther you move it forward the less you can see and it takes me longer to find the dot

Bowguy

This is only my opinion but a very firm one. The fastfire is straight up junk. I like Burris but not that sight.
To be honest, I have sights on guns but I'm gonna recommend one to look at I don't have but it'll be the next red dot I buy. Not too expensive either. Holosun. Great sight.
The drilling n tapping is easy. If you want a sight changed plug the old holes w filler screws, get a drill bit of correct size and a tap from brownell and tap it.

vaplowboy

I have 3 FF2s And 1 FF3 great red dot.

Tail Feathers

The FF's I've seen seem to look like a big orange eye from where the turkey stands.
I'm strongly considering the Nikon Spur because it doesn't glare like the rest of them.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

KeyDett

I have a Nikon Spur on one of my guns. It is a really good sight. With that being said I have Venoms in all my other guns and I prefer them over anything else.

Cut N Run

Got a FF II & a FF III, I love 'em.  Never had an issue with either one.  If I ever did, they're covered under Burris' warranty. 

I have a Speed Bead mount on my SBE II.  I wanted the sight back as far as I could get to give me the maximum field of view.  I had a TruGlo red dot on my old SBE about 13 years ago that gave too much of a starburst effect. The dot was overly large and the weight threw the balance of the gun off.  I didn't keep it 3 months & ended up giving it away. Bought a Fast Fire II a few weeks later.  A few years after that I moved up to the FF III because batteries could be changed without removing the sight.  Can't say I'll never change it out, but it hasn't had any issues to make me want to.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Greg Massey

I use mostly all saddle mounts and scopes and i don't have any problems , i use the Nikon turkey pro and the Simmons pro diamond , i do have one red dot and it's Bushnell TR 25 and it's been really good also.. I prefer scopes myself ....

Liljake

I just compared a vortex venom and Nikon spur at Cabelas. Both look great but The spur was 1/2 the price so I went with it.
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Jrkimbrough

I've used my FF3 for 2 season and it has performed flawlessly.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Greg Massey on September 26, 2019, 08:53:09 AM
I use mostly all saddle mounts and scopes and i don't have any problems , i use the Nikon turkey pro and the Simmons pro diamond , i do have one red dot and it's Bushnell TR 25 and it's been really good also.. I prefer scopes myself ....
Not a huge fan of the saddle mounts but I definitely prefer a scope. No need to rely on a battery. Love my ffiii but wouldn't have it if my wife hadn't bought it for me.