OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Saw Something New

Started by NCL, August 02, 2019, 10:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

Yesterday while I was on my walk around the neighborhood I saw 5 hens sitting/perched on the top of a fence. As I walked past I saw four more on the ground. There are usually turkeys around on my walks so that is not unusual but seeing them sitting on a fence is a something totally new for me.

Spitten and drummen

Sure it wasn't buzzards? Lol. Joking. I have never seen wild turkeys sitting on a fence but definatley doesn't mean they wont. Turkeys are odd birds at times.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

guesswho

Never seen one on a fence, but did see one on a power line one time.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Funny , yes turkeys are very unusual birds ....

bobk

Never saw them sitting on a fence, did see them sitting on the sides of a pickup truck bed.

NCL

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on August 02, 2019, 11:11:33 AM
Sure it wasn't buzzards? Lol. Joking. I have never seen wild turkeys sitting on a fence but definatley doesn't mean they wont. Turkeys are odd birds at times.

It"s funny you say that because when I first saw them that is what I thought but since I was within about 50 feet I am sure they were turkeys. As I got closer they jump off the rail and ran off across the field with the other four.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I drove by a Jaguar dealership one morning and there was a big gobbler perched on the hood of a new Jag watching traffic go by. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

tal

I've never seen them on the wire of fences but I have seen them perch on a livestock gate around a feed lot. Have you ever seen turkeys fly to a limb in the middle of the day? Sometimes it's not because they've been spooked. Seems they will sometimes fly up to preen, rest, or just relax. I've known some hunters with decades of experience argue against it.

lmbunch69

Got to deer hunt an old horse farm in KY last year. Just about every hunt turkeys would sit on the top of the fence and hang out. Definitely  a neat and unusual sight

NCL

Quote from: tal on August 02, 2019, 08:01:40 PM
I've never seen them on the wire of fences but I have seen them perch on a livestock gate around a feed lot. Have you ever seen turkeys fly to a limb in the middle of the day? Sometimes it's not because they've been spooked. Seems they will sometimes fly up to preen, rest, or just relax. I've known some hunters with decades of experience argue against it.

Not mid-day about 8:00AM I saw two fly up to a limb on a small tree, probably only about 15 feet off the ground. They sat there for a long time and never did see them come back down but they could have gone out the other way.

wvmntnhick

I've got a customer that has a 4' brick wall around the outside of their pool. While I was there I'd noticed feathers and droppings. Asked the homeowner if they had tame turkeys. Response: "Nope! Dang wild turkeys roost on my wall and roof at least 3 nights a week. Can't seem to scare them off."

Wanted to offer my services but mixing business with pleasure doesn't always work out that well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelmo1

My wife spotted a Tom, " on the fence", so I looked along the fence and said , "I don't see it". Look up stupid", was her response. There he was, 3 feet up on the fence. Oh well

tal

It's amazing what they'll adapt to.  A lot of agriculture around this rural place and guys tell me a flock of turkeys will get in the way while they are planting and cultivating. I've been told stories of turkeys around homes getting dominant with people, running at them, pecking, and flogging.  But twitch a finger on a hardwood ridge in the spring and it's game over.

Southerngobbler

I have seen hens sitting on the raised section of a concrete bridge. I drive by that place all the time and I've only seen it happen once. Usually Im lucky just to see some tracks in that area.

Tomfoolery

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on August 02, 2019, 11:11:33 AM
Funny you say this. My brother isn't a turkey hunter. He and my dad were at our lease in west texas deer hunting, one of our feeders across the lease on a hill can be glassed from the camp. My brother was glassing the feeder from the porch and told my dad "there's a flock of buzzards around the in the feed pen and some standing on the pen." Dad jumps up and says "thats turkeys!!" Lol. Ended up being about 10 longbeards.