OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Property line story

Started by shootumindaface, February 12, 2011, 12:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootumindaface

The property line thread reminds me of a funny story..

Sal and I had hunted hard all day to no avail.. About 3 o clock we decided to call it quits for the day and go to a piece of property that we had never worked a bird, but was usually chuck full of big fat white morels.. When we try the property for turkey we usually park in the front, but seeings that we were hunting morels, we decided to drive to the back and park in the woods..

We both went our separate ways and started looking for mushrooms.. I had blown out my favorite yelper that day, so I threw a new one in my mouth and decided it was a fine time to break it in.. So for a half hour or so walking slowly looking at the ground and blowing my yelper, I decided to look up and see where I was.. Well a quick scan made me realize that looking down wandering I had overstepped the line a bit and also revealed the neighbor mushroom hunting a hundred yards away.. I had been warned about this crotchety Old Fellar so naturally I had a Ohhhhhh  Crap moment.. Thank goodness I was in camo... I quickly ducked behind a tree and waited for him to pick a mushroom.. I ran ten yards to the next tree closest to the truck and ducked in behind.. Doing this for a few trees and sweating bullets.. Finally he turned the other way and I started sprinting for the line..

About this time I saw Sally making a break for the truck as well and figured she too was caught in a similar predicament. So about 50 yards back on our side of the line we stopped.. She said "Did ya hear him".. In my constant panting from running and adrenaline, I thought she had stated, "did ya see him"... I replied "Yes, he has a gray sweatshirt on"

Folks the look on her face was astonishing... See, while I had been blowing that yelper a couple hundred yards from her, she was hearing a turkey gobble and approaching and never knew nothing about the neighbor.. She than looked at me with a look that showed she was in utter disbelief of what I had just said and said "what" I said "yeah and he has a walking stick".. She was dumbfounded and said "No, D-A there is a turkey gobbling in the creek bottom that's coming" Not knowing where I was she was running to the truck to get a gun and her vest while I was running to get the heck outta dodge.. She must have thought I picked the wrong groovy mushrooms and decided to eat them raw, to state that the gobbler she had heard had a gray sweatshirt on and a walking stick LOL

So we got back to the truck grabbed our gear and scooted up to the line.. I would have liked to gone further but there was the line.. So I hammer at this gobbler and he comes in on a string.. I could have dumped him at 40 yards 5 yards over the line, but held fire with the neighbor 200 yards away.. At that moment the gobbler saw the truck parked where we had never ever parked a truck on this property and head for the hills..

sugarray

Shootum, that was AWESOME!!!  What a great story.  Thanks for letting us enjoy it.

slave601

"thinnin the flock"

FANMAN

redarrow

DAng man,that is some funny stuff.

harvester

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 12, 2011, 12:57:39 PMShe must have thought I picked the wrong groovy mushrooms and decided to eat them raw, to state that the gobbler she had heard had a gray sweatshirt on and a walking stick
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Flydown

QuoteI could have dumped him at 40 yards 5 yards over the line, but held fire with the neighbor 200 yards away.

How much did he weigh and what did his spurs look like?

timbrhuntr

Funny story. I have one similiar but not funny and a different outcome. One of the properties I hunt the fence lines etc. have been gone for along time and sometimes its had to tell if you cross the line. My first year I climbed a tree and set up. At about 9 a.m. I saw a truck coming down a laneway. I had been warned also to try and stay off the property to the east as the owner is 80 and a bit excentric. I realized that the guy driving was the owner. He stopped and got out to look at something. I stood up and called to him, all the time thinking I was not on his land. He came over to talk and said I was 5 yds onto his property. I thought I was in for it but he asked how did I get up the tree with no marks. I came down and showed him my climber. He was impressed that I didn't damage his tree which was a major concern for him. Apparently alot of the trees had been planted by his Dad, him and his brother. We talked about different types of tree species and at the end he gave me permission to hunt there. Sometimes things are not as bad as other people make them out to be at least in this case. I hunted that property for ten years until the old timer got too old to look after it and signed it over to the Nature Conservancy.

Crutch

No beard but a handle bar mustache!  lol

That was a great story, Thanks so much for sharing it and good luck on the shrooms this year. Last year was a bust for me but I am expecting them by the hundreds this year.

Good luck hunting.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Devastator

great story.thems were not hallucinating rooms were they? :gobble:

shootumindaface

Quote from: Flydown on February 12, 2011, 01:40:37 PM
QuoteI could have dumped him at 40 yards 5 yards over the line, but held fire with the neighbor 200 yards away.

Nah this bird was prime for the taking.. One of those text book hunts..

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Cove

Quote from: Flydown on February 12, 2011, 01:40:37 PM

:you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

Hognutz

That is too funny!! I love this stuff..Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.