Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Off Season Topic #2: What's It Worth To You?

Started by GobbleNut, June 10, 2019, 09:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Occasionally, some of us talk about our future turkey hunting goals and what we would like to do.  Pretty regularly, folks bring up going on a Gould's turkey hunt.  Of course, most of that opportunity is in Mexico.  Here's a question for you:  Assuming you are at all interested, what are you willing to pay for a turkey hunt in Mexico for a Gould's? 

In fact, for any of the subspecies, what would be your breaking point in terms of going on a particular hunt,...or not?  ...And what would be your expectations in terms of what you would want provided?

VA Gobble Addict

I think the most I would pay for a single bird Gould's hunt would be about $1200. $2000 to me is a crazy price and honestly the royal slam isn't worth that plus the travel cost.
I prefer to chase anything but easterns on public land so I don't have much experience with guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Hook hanger

Gould's just don't excite me enough to pay that much for them.

Sir-diealot

Gould's and Merriam are both of interest to me, I have never booked a hunting trip so I would guess between $2000-$3000 would be fair with license lodging and meals?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

AndyH

$2500 would be my breaking point. That would have to include lodging and food. I don't need 5 star accommodations but I would expect a clean and safe place to lay my head at night, a shower and something hot for dinner. As far as the hunting I would expect to at least see sign that there are turkeys in the area.

Jrkimbrough

Call me crazy but right now I wouldn't pay $1 because traveling in Mexico makes me so nervous.  Saw some pictures recently of where someone killed one in the mountains of Chihuahua and was talking with a hispanic guy I work with that's from Chihuahua and he said they are crazy.  Said all the locals stay out of the mountains because that's where the cartels run their operations.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

guesswho

Anything more than a nonresident hunting license and I'm out.   I'm not interested enough in different tail feather colors to pay someone to help me find and kill one.   I'll buy a can of spray paint and paint a Eastern fan, then make up a nice adventurous out of state/country story, and I can come up with some doozie's.   Probably even wind up on one of those tubeyou channels.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

crow

Quote from: guesswho on June 10, 2019, 01:37:43 PM
Anything more than a nonresident hunting license and I'm out.   I'm not interested enough in different tail feather colors to pay someone to help me find and kill one.   I'll buy a can of spray paint and paint a Eastern fan, then make up a nice adventurous out of state/country story, and I can come up with some doozie's.   Probably even wind up on one of those tubeyou channels.

There are certain parts of York where I could go buy the spray paint, eat at Taco Bell and have all the "Mexican Adventure" I need

I always liked that line by Col. Tom Kelly where he says something like " there are plenty of turkeys within 1 hour of where I live that are capable of embarrassing me, I don't need to drive further"

Gobble!

Quote from: AndyH on June 10, 2019, 01:01:59 PM
$2500 would be my breaking point. That would have to include lodging and food. I don't need 5 star accommodations but I would expect a clean and safe place to lay my head at night, a shower and something hot for dinner. As far as the hunting I would expect to at least see sign that there are turkeys in the area.

I expect to have $2,500 in a trip for a Osceola in the up coming years. Not sure I'd spend much more than $1,500 for a Goulds.

oakraidia

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on June 10, 2019, 01:09:59 PM
1000 bucks tops.
That'd be max too and that would need to include license, lodging and meals.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 10, 2019, 01:15:10 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on June 10, 2019, 01:09:59 PM
1000 bucks tops.
I thought I was cheap!  :P

He asked what it would be to each of us and if that makes me cheap then so be it. I have no desire to kill one. Actually if I could only hunt easterns the rest of my life I would be more than fine.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Yoteduster

I've got a friend who's wife won a goulds hunt in Mexico at a nwtf banquet for next spring  and I'm sort of waitng to see how that goes other wise I've got rios five minutes out my door  and merriam's twenty minutes away and easterns eight to ten hours away so I can't see spending much more than fuel and lisence money on a turkey hunt however I did trade a mule deer hunt for a Oceola turkey hunt down in Florida and all I had to pay for was my air fare and that was a fun hunt for a couple of birds but that's as far as I'd go for a turkey hunt

Ctrize

1200 I come close years ago but I'm happy chasin them here now.