OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterning today... PICS.

Started by new2turkey, February 12, 2011, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

nice looking turkey rig
the patterns will tighten up for you as soon as it warms up some
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

new2turkey

good to hear, i'm more than ready for spring

chrisun

Nice pattern for the time of year.
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

Gold Spur

Good looking pattern new2turkey. Only a die hard turkey hunter would get out in weather like that.  :fud:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

new2turkey

Thanks Gold Spur....

Hopefully everything will pay off this spring...  :fud: :gobble:

R AJ

Do you reckon some of those shot could have frozen in mid-air before they ever made it to the target? Probably close to 70 down here by Friday.

paladin

We also had some "severe" weather. It did not get above freezing for about 2 whole days. Many business and schools closed.
Good patterns. You should update with the identical setup at different temps as it warms up.
"have gun-will travel"

new2turkey

LOL RAJ...

Will do paladin, it'll be a few months before that happens though.

FullChoke

Quote from: joshua on February 12, 2011, 12:19:42 PM
Excellant pattern considering the temps.  That pattern will only get better with warmer weather.  Good luck this spring.

What about colder temperatures adversely effects shotgun pattern density? Is it the air density?

Always have heard this tossed around, but have never heard a good explanation as to why.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

new2turkey

Has to do with air density FullChoke. Air density increases in cold weather, lowering shot velocity.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: new2turkey on February 14, 2011, 09:28:34 AM
Has to do with air density FullChoke. Air density increases in cold weather, lowering shot velocity.

I don't think it has to do with the shot velocity as much as it does to do with the aerodynamics of the shot to the target is greatly disrupted due to the fact that colder air is a lot denser meaning the shot can't fly as true and shot has to fight the thicker denser air vs when it is shot in warmer temperatures and is less affected.  Thus your shot gets pushed out of its normal flight to the target on colder days meaning more open patterns. 

new2turkey

Could be also true. But I believe that velocity is partly to blame as well. Just like the speed of sound is slower when the air is colder.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: new2turkey on February 14, 2011, 10:06:34 AM
Could be also true. But I believe that velocity is partly to blame as well. Just like the speed of sound is slower when the air is colder.

You may be right.  It might have something to do with the rate at which the powder is burnt is slowed down in colder weather vs warmer weather.