turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

box call lids

Started by Roost Wrecker, May 02, 2011, 10:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roost Wrecker

I was wondering if most of u guys make your lids or order pre rounded lid stock. I have made a couple of lids but i dont get the right pitch on them and a pre rounded lid works better and just looking for a source any help would be greatly appreciated.

MarkJM

I use the belt sander for all of my box call lids and they work great for me. I have thought about ordering re pitched lids but mine sound just as great.
MuellerCustomCalls

Cut*N*Run

I've only made a couple, and I sanded the lids myself. I guess that's what I like about custom box calls- other than the lid screw, it 100% comes down to the work of the callmaker.

I don't know if  Joe and Brookside Game Calls has them, but he sells pre-made, sand and finish box call kits so I would assume he could sell just the paddles:
http://brooksidegamecalls.com/boxcallkits.aspx

Ken at Custom Sawing has a bunch:
http://www.callkits.com/Lids.html

Roost Wrecker

yeah that what i like about custom calls too. but i was trying to shave the lids on a bench grinder but couldnt seem to get them like i wanted them. I made three that i liked but many that i didnt. I know custom sawing has the lid material just didnt know if that was too high, and if someone had any cheaper. If not i am going to try the belt sander. Thanks

oneshotcalls

Hey Roost,
I as well make my lids using a belt sander.  I would recommend using a waste block and some double side tape on the back side of the paddle to hold on while sanding the radius.  I have made tons of lids just using my fingers holding the ends but after grinding the same finger nail off twice I went with the block and tape.

Tony

misfire

I make my own. Are you sure you have the grain aligned properly?
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Roost Wrecker

misfire i am pretty sure. if u look at the back of the call u want it going up to the right is what i have been told. I made a call this evening out of ambrosia maple and it sounds well. I think it would be easier with a benchtop belt sander or vertical.

pappy

I make my paddles on the belt sander. There is one thing you may try, if you are using 3" diameter circumference take a piece of metal coffe can lid, cut a three inch diameter circle out of it, then use the part you cut out from as a scraper along the length of the paddle, after you get the primary shape finished. This mayhelp you to recognize any high or low spots on the paddle.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206