turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Smallest gobbler to date

Started by catman529, April 21, 2019, 08:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Tied off the boat and walked up a ridge finger toward a big main ridge. When I got on top of the finger I yelped a few times and got an answer, bird gobbled right where I was headed toward. I veered slightly to the right and crossed a small drainage, he gobbled again while I was walking. Found a setup on edge of the main ridge and yelped again, and he gobbled much closer. Sat tight and waited, and within a minute or two I heard drumming. Two red heads popped out from behind a tree and one of them saw me move the camera and they started to turn around. One of them had a visible long beard, so I got my red dot sight on his neck and waited for him to cross an opening in the brush. Shot at 20 yards and that was it. Good ole 2 year old only weighed 16.5 pounds. My smallest longbeard yet. But he did everything I wanted! Can't beat that. 4th spot I hunted today and killed him quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoder409

Nice pics and nice bird !!!

Hard winter where you're hunting ??  One year 4 of us killed a 3 1/2 limits of WV longbeards after a epic, hard winter.  We had birds with 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" spurs weighing a pound and two pounds LESS than yours. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gen.27:3

Awesome, congratulations!! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Yoteduster

backforty

Congrats

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Print by Madison, on Flickr

The Southpaw

Happy

I killed a bird that was at least 3 years old that weighed 14lbs and some change once. Have only killed a handful that broke past 20lbs up here in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats Catman

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

owlhoot

A few years back a buddy got a 14.5 lbs bird with big long hooks .
He was running with a 27 lb that I shot right after with shorter spurs.
I guess  they could be a really old bird that way sometimes?

catman529

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 21, 2019, 08:57:41 PM
Nice pics and nice bird !!!

Hard winter where you're hunting ??  One year 4 of us killed a 3 1/2 limits of WV longbeards after a epic, hard winter.  We had birds with 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" spurs weighing a pound and two pounds LESS than yours.
No we have had bigger birds than usual this year. Still some red oak acorns left over on the ground. Last bird was 23 pounds and my buddy killed one the other day that was 26.5 pounds. This was just one of them midget gobblers I guess.

Southerngobbler

It's not uncommon to get a mature 14 to 15 pounder here in N/W Florida. A big one only weight 18 pounds.

lmbunch69

A little off topic but have you noticed the camo finish on your 870 wearing easily. Took my new one out first time and already have the same wear as yours in the pictures.

catman529

Quote from: lmbunch69 on April 21, 2019, 10:34:54 PM
A little off topic but have you noticed the camo finish on your 870 wearing easily. Took my new one out first time and already have the same wear as yours in the pictures.
I bought mine used so it's had some wear and tear. Whole line of tally marks on the barrel from the previous owner. I will eventually sand and re paint it myself

Marc

Nothing wrong at all with that bird...  He would not have gotten a pass from me.  Thank you for sharing!

It has been my personal impression (or observation) right or wrong that birds tend to lose weight as the spring season progresses.  I think as those toms are concentrating on breeding, and not eating that they tend to lose weight during the breeding season.  I could be wrong, but I would bet if you really want a "big" heavy bird, hunt them in the fall.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

eggshell

I have seen several old mature gobblers that are light. It's a genetic thing, we have big, tall and small people and so are turkeys. Gobblers are lighter in the fall. Like most animals they put on weight for breeding season for fighting and stamina. I have never killed a fall gobbler over 21 pounds (I have killed my share for a good sample size). They are their heaviest in spring. They do lose some of that as breeding season goes on because they are returning to normal weight.