turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Copper?

Started by Houndstooth Game Calls, May 01, 2011, 11:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndstooth Game Calls

I am fixing to play with some copper for a striker surface over glass and was wondering what exactly what people are conditioning the surface with and how they are likeing the sounds they are getting. I know different woods different measurements on pots produce different sounds but in general on the sound of copper?

Cut*N*Run

When I'm finished putting the call together, I go rough sandpaper to medium paper to scotch brite. From there on out I just touch it up with scotch brite like slate. Usually higher pitch and raspy, but it can also play medium pitch and clear. I feel like copper changes sound with different strikers more than any other material.

Houndstooth Game Calls

Thanks cut-n-run I am looking forward to playing with it!

misfire

Green Scotchbrite
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Roost Wrecker

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on May 02, 2011, 09:11:33 AM
When I'm finished putting the call together, I go rough sandpaper to medium paper to scotch brite. From there on out I just touch it up with scotch brite like slate. Usually higher pitch and raspy, but it can also play medium pitch and clear. I feel like copper changes sound with different strikers more than any other material.
[/quote  :icon_thumright:

KryptoniteKills

Gotta love copper. I have also found that starting with 100 grit paper and then with the scotch brite does a great job. But I go one step further and only scotch brite half the pot leaving the other half 100 grit. The coarser half will bring out a LOT more rasp and I can switch sound by playing a different spot on same call. Just experiment until you find what you like the best.

lightsoutcalls

I use 320 grit sandpaper to scotchbrite.  I would suggest using 3" surface material if you don't want a dead sound. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Roost Wrecker

I build mine with a 3 1/2 playing surface and a 3 inch sound chamber. I know some like the 3 in but i build mostly 3 1/4 calls and cant find 3 1/4 copper so this is what i do and they sound great!