OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

BEYOND P!$$@d OFF!!

Started by mightyjoeyoung, April 09, 2019, 06:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

I dropped my  BRAND NEW Winchester 1300 20 gauge off at the local gunsmith last week to have it drilled and tapped.  I picked it up today, took it home, mounted the 417M Weaver base and then my Bushnell Trophy turkey scope.  Brought the gun up and had less than half the fov as I should have.  That's when I realized he drilled the holes for the base OVER AN INCH forward of where the factory base is mounted!!!!!  ????????????  I flipped out because even my reflex sight was too far forward to have an adequate fov.  I immediately called him and told him the issue and he acted like it was my fault!!  I about reached through the phone and throttled him right there.  So I took it back in and he tells me he compared it to...ready for this?...a mossberg 88 maverick reciever. ????  I brought both the 20 and my 12 gauge and showed him the huge difference and he then said "well why didn't you bring that one I  or say where you wanted it mounted in the first place"?  I told him he was the gunsmith and figured he knew what he was doing.  Long story short, I now have a completely miss drilled gun that we have to modify the base mount on to get it to function.  I am beyond pissed off...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

nyhunter

WOW !!!  I dont blame you for being PO

LaLongbeard

That sucks. I learned along time ago just because they have a gunsmith shop doesn't mean there a gunsmith. I have zero faith in anyone doing the job there paid to do nowadays. I make things absolutely dummy proof or do it myself.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

DBell

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 09, 2019, 06:28:14 PM
I dropped my  BRAND NEW Winchester 1300 20 gauge off at the local gunsmith last week to have it drilled and tapped.  I picked it up today, took it home, mounted the 417M Weaver base and then my Bushnell Trophy turkey scope.  Brought the gun up and had less than half the fov as I should have.  That's when I realized he drilled the holes for the base OVER AN INCH forward of where the factory base is mounted!!!!!  ????????????  I flipped out because even my reflex sight was too far forward to have an adequate fov.  I immediately called him and told him the issue and he acted like it was my fault!!  I about reached through the phone and throttled him right there.  So I took it back in and he tells me he compared it to...ready for this?...a mossberg 88 maverick reciever. ????  I brought both the 20 and my 12 gauge and showed him the huge difference and he then said "well why didn't you bring that one I  or say where you wanted it mounted in the first place"?  I told him he was the gunsmith and figured he knew what he was doing.  Long story short, I now have a completely miss drilled gun that we have to modify the base mount on to get it to function.  I am beyond pissed off...
Wow. That is wacked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fl strutter

Im in the same boat as you bud. Sent my receiver to a well known and raved about gunsmith on this forum to have it drilled and tapped. He used a weaver base for hole position. The holes were completely crooked. The naked eye could see it plain as day. Called and he said he knew it was off and im like what the hell. I sent the receiver back as he said he would fix it free of charge by drilling one hole to make it straight. I get it back mount the base and venom sight and the sight is leaning to the left alot. I was beyond pissed and still am. A brand new 20 gauge i built for this year was so screwed up i hunted my old 12 gauge all year. Do not trust gunsmiths even ones raved about.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 09, 2019, 07:06:37 PM
Do not trust gunsmiths even ones raved about.
Sadly, that's good advice.  Had an 11-87 tapped for mounting a Burris FF3.  The holes were so badly aligned the FF3 was out of range. Thankfully Burris made me a new mount with an offset screw hole for free and solved that problem. A well known, oft-touted barrel guy in Massachusetts totally botched a choke job on an old Superposed.  It had horrible gouges and a negative constriction in one barrel.  Then proceeded to measure it at my insistence and lied to my face about it.  A third gunsmith sent barrels back with dings in them.  Each of these gunsmiths came highly recommended. Wherever I have the skills and the tools I'm doing my own work.

jrmcclure

Last gun I needed drilled I talked to my local gunsmith and he said 4 weeks. Called Mike Orlen as I needed another barrel threaded and figured might kill two birds with one stone. Mike Orlen acted like I was a bother for asking him  a question on the phone and asking about payment info. So I scratched that option as well. In the end I dealt with the gun doc. He prefers to do the work while you wait and watch and take the gun with you when done. I watched the whole process and took it with me 30 minutes later. Although he picks his walk in customers over shipped in work, so if not from North Georgia your results may vary. Customer service goes a lot further than people realize.

mightyjoeyoung

Ok. So after a couple beers and some time to cool off I've decided to go with a picatinny rail and just write this guy off altogether.   Figure it is only a 20 gauge right?  Even heavy loads won't budge a 4 hole mounted rail.  I had him drill it for a 417 weaver base (mossberg 500) instead of the 416 base that is called for because the 417 just fits better.  It's also ridiculously easy to find rails (case in point) then for the 1300.  Problem solved.  I hope. Lol
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: jrmcclure on April 09, 2019, 08:18:24 PM
Called Mike Orlen as I needed another barrel threaded and figured might kill two birds with one stone. Mike Orlen acted like I was a bother for asking him  a question on the phone and asking about payment info. So I scratched that option as well.
Smart move ...

the Ward

That's one of my big fears. I have a gun i would love to have drilled and tapped, but if it came out crooked, i'm so ocd that i would probably get rid of it because i could't stand to look at it. Good gunsmiths have always been in short supply, and i think the situation will only get worse as the years go by.

sixbird

I know it's no consolation but you could have a reputable gunsmith plug the holes with plastic plugs and re-drill where the holes were supposed to be. The plugs blend in and look pretty nice. Like I say, small consolation but it's an option.
I had a "gunsmith" glass bed a barrel on a wood stocked rifle years ago. I got it back and the color was bleached out of the wood and a shiny finish was on it (it had a satin finish when I gave it to him). I called and he denied that anything had happened. I was a kid at the time so I just complained and let it go.
Whenever I send a gun out, my heart is in my throat until I get it back. So many things can happen and a lot can be lost in translation...
Hope it all works out for you brutha'. I know how infuriating that is...

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 09, 2019, 07:06:37 PM
Im in the same boat as you bud. Sent my receiver to a well known and raved about gunsmith on this forum to have it drilled and tapped. He used a weaver base for hole position. The holes were completely crooked. The naked eye could see it plain as day. Called and he said he knew it was off and im like what the hell. I sent the receiver back as he said he would fix it free of charge by drilling one hole to make it straight. I get it back mount the base and venom sight and the sight is leaning to the left alot. I was beyond pissed and still am. A brand new 20 gauge i built for this year was so screwed up i hunted my old 12 gauge all year. Do not trust gunsmiths even ones raved about.

I know you wouldn't because you're a stand up guy ,but I'd be interested to know if it's the same one I've had problems with in the past.

CrustyRusty

Brought this to my local gun store who uses a gunsmith that is apparently the best around.  The store wound up replacing my gun for me since she has integrity.  The so called smith not only butchered this but tried to hide it by attaching a rail that I didnt even want on it and using a strong adhesive.  I now do all my own drill and tapping.

Sad that a guy with a drill press and calipers and patience can do a better job than a professional with the right tools and a jig.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: CrustyRusty on April 11, 2019, 11:20:00 AM
Brought this to my local gun store who uses a gunsmith that is apparently the best around.  The store wound up replacing my gun for me since she has integrity.  The so called smith not only butchered this but tried to hide it by attaching a rail that I didnt even want on it and using a strong adhesive.  I now do all my own drill and tapping.

Sad that a guy with a drill press and calipers and patience can do a better job than a professional with the right tools and a jig.

Man now that's some shotty work. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

CrustyRusty

I had specifically told them not to put the rail on because I didn't want a full length rail on the gun.  I wanted d/t for Remington rail spacing but was going to put a short piece on.  When it came back I knew something was squirrelly.  I looked in the ejection port and saw a bunch of holes, so I had the gun store remove the rail and that's what we saw.  It was a struggle to get it off because the gunsmith used a strong adhesive.  He was clearly trying to hide what he did.  Luckily the store owner was good about it and ordered me a new gun.

Sorry to hijack the thread mighty joe, just sympathizing with you.  Good luck with your issue.