turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke recommendations for Mossberg 500 / Hevishot 13

Started by natman, April 07, 2019, 02:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natman

I'm shooting a Mossberg 500 and 3" 12 ga #7 Hevi shot13.

I have internal Mossberg chokes Cylinder, IC, Mod, Full and X-full and extended & ported chokes of Mossberg X-Factor Turkey and a Star Dot.

What's your recommendation out of those?

NYshotgunner

"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
NRA Life Member, Veteran

Bowguy

What type pattern are you looking for? How far do you shoot? Now recommendations are great but they aren't an end all. You need to check yourself in your gun.
Last week a buddy of mine n I shot a couple chokes after everyone on here recommended a tighter one that left holes in pattern. I have no doubt it works for them in that gun but we changed a few times. The best two were a waterfowl choke but the best was an 8 dollar choke no one recommended. That gun just liked that choke. Check the guns from full upwards. I've even seen mod shoot well so one shot there won't kill ya either. You'll never know what's best til you try for yourself

Tom Foolery

I'd start with the Stardot.

I have one in a 5500 that throws a nice even pattern with several shells. 

jrmcclure

Primos tightwad .660 I'v tried many different chokes in my Mossberg and always seem to come back to that one. $20 and done. I'v probably tried 6-7 chokes just to turn around and sell them. The .660 construction just seems to work in that gun. Hevi 7's, magnum blends, and tss 9's all do well

natman

I've had good results with *lead* shot with the Xfull, the X-Factor and the Star Dot.

I wasn't sure that the Hevi13 shot was compatible with that tight a choke.

natman

Quote from: Bowguy on April 07, 2019, 05:11:16 PM
What type pattern are you looking for? How far do you shoot? Now recommendations are great but they aren't an end all. You need to check yourself in your gun.

You're quite right, but it doesn't hurt to get a good starting point based on experience, especially at $6 a pop.

tha bugman

Bowguy

Quote from: natman on April 08, 2019, 10:58:53 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on April 07, 2019, 05:11:16 PM
What type pattern are you lo
oking for? How far do you shoot? Now recommendations are great but they aren't an end all. You need to check yourself in your gun.

You're quite right, but it doesn't hurt to get a good starting point based on experience, especially at $6 a pop.
Absolutely