OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 problems

Started by aclawrence, April 03, 2019, 03:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Do they offer a youth model in the new wing master line?  I haven't looked.  I might look into one if they do. I've always liked Remington guns but some of their new stuff is not to hot. I really hate that to.  I've just heard it from too many people even my gunsmith today said the same thing.  In my current financial situation I can afford to buy a couple boxes of TSS but can't swing the money for one of the autoloaders I was hoping to get.  Actually I really like the size and feel of the 11/87 compact but I read about so many issues with those guns that I decided against trying to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 04, 2019, 12:57:16 PM
Quote from: Turkeytider on April 04, 2019, 11:12:51 AM
Get it to a gunsmith or back to Remington. They are all mechanical things and subject to the things that happen to mechanical things. There`s not a brand or price level of gun out that you can`t find problems.
I have never once heard this type of jamming problem from a Wingmaster never.
Never heard of an extractor that slipped or broke either. You get exactly what you pay for. The Express models I've seen lately feel like there's sand in the reciever there so rough. The new Wingmasters are as well made as the old ones, the wood may not be as nice but the bluing and parts are polished and the same material as the older models. But you can find an older Wingmaster for about what an Express costs I don't understand why people keep buying them with all the complaints. Trying to save a few bucks on your gun then paying 10$ a shell is ridiculous.

That's odd considering they're the exact same gun but with a polished, blue finish and glossy wood furniture.  Internals are IDENTICAL...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Divenut2

Glad you were able to get it sorted out aclawrence. happy Hunting!
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

aclawrence

Quote from: Divenut2 on April 04, 2019, 01:49:17 PM
Glad you were able to get it sorted out aclawrence. happy Hunting!
Thanks. Hopefully I'll be slinging some more tungsten soon!

LaLongbeard

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 04, 2019, 01:43:06 PM
Get it to a gunsmith or back to Remington. They are all mechanical things and subject to the things that happen to mechanical things. There`s not a brand or price level of gun out that you can`t find problems.
Never heard of an extractor that slipped or broke either. You get exactly what you pay for. The Express models I've seen lately feel like there's sand in the reciever there so rough. The new Wingmasters are as well made as the old ones, the wood may not be as nice but the bluing and parts are polished and the same material as the older models. But you can find an older Wingmaster for about what an Express costs I don't understand why people keep buying them with all the complaints. Trying to save a few bucks on your gun then paying 10$ a shell is ridiculous.

That's odd considering they're the exact same gun but with a polished, blue finish and glossy wood furniture.  Internals are IDENTICAL...
Nope. The extractor, shell ejector spring are stamped  parts on the Express.  The Wingmasters have machines parts. The internals, inside reciever and barell are polished on the WM not the Express and quality control on the WM is better. Things that they let pass with the Express will not make a WM. If you've ever shot or even cycled the action on a Wingmasters you will notice the difference.You can take an Express have the inside of the reciever deburred and polished, buy a machined extractor and  a metal trigger guard instead of plastic ,polish the barell and get  another trigger and you'll have a decent Express or just buy a Wingmaster. You can find used  Wingmasters in any gauge .410,28,20,16 and 12 in really good to excellent condition for what people pay for the Express.
Maybe that's why people keep buying the Express they think it's the same gun without the gloss finish.... it is not and never has been.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

DBell

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 04, 2019, 02:25:02 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 04, 2019, 01:43:06 PM

Nope. The extractor, shell ejector spring are stamped  parts on the Express.  The Wingmasters have machines parts. The internals, inside reciever and barell are polished on the WM not the Express and quality control on the WM is better. Things that they let pass with the Express will not make a WM. If you've ever shot or even cycled the action on a Wingmasters you will notice the difference.You can take an Express have the inside of the reciever deburred and polished, buy a machined extractor and  a metal trigger guard instead of plastic ,polish the barell and get  another trigger and you'll have a decent Express or just buy a Wingmaster. You can find used  Wingmasters in any gauge .410,28,20,16 and 12 in really good to excellent condition for what people pay for the Express.
Maybe that's why people keep buying the Express they think it's the same gun without the gloss finish.... it is not and never has been.
I'll admit, most of the new 870 express I've handled at various shops did feel gritty. I can't remember if my 2013 did or not when I first bought it, but it's like butter now. The 2017 I picked up last month was barely used and did not feel gritty at all. I had actually been looking for a used wingmaster for a bit, before I bought my second 870. I couldn't find one for less than $550-600 in good condition. Happened across a compact 870 express 21" with hardwoods camo for $350 and couldn't pass it up.
I used the extra couple hundred I saved and bought a rifled slug barrel for shotgun only deer zones.