turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 problems

Started by aclawrence, April 03, 2019, 03:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Hey guys, I started off this season with a new shotgun.  The idea of a smaller lighter gun was really appealing to me so I followed suit and picked up an 870 youth 20 ga.  I'm pretty short so it actually fits me pretty good any way.  I mounted a Burris FF3, picked up a sumtoy choke and bought some Federal TSS #9s.  The gun shot great and I have been blessed to kill two birds with it my first two times out this season.  Unfortunately this morning while I was right on top of a gobbler I noticed my gun acting funny.  I was pulling back on the foreend bracing for a shot and the foreend stock kept sliding back a little bit.  I was mainly noticing because it was making a racket and the turkey was only about 15yds away.  I shot the turkey and loaded another shell.  After I got the bird I went to unload and could not get the action to function.  The slide release button was stuck and and the slide did not want to slide at all.  I was able to get it unloaded and worked it a couple times.  It won't stay locked, as in if I pull on the slide it will come back a little bit but then it won't come all the way.  Have ya'll seen this before?  It may just be something minor.  I haven't had a chance to look it over yet.  Thought ya'll might could give me some pointers of what to check when I get home from work.   

mightyjoeyoung

Did the investment cast extractor break and jam up the action?  They can be prone to breakage.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Check the forearm nut to make sure it's not worked loose.

aclawrence

I know it's no the fore arm nut I check that.  I'll check out the extractor when I get home. 

aclawrence

I'm not a gun smith but it looks like this is the part that locks the bolt forward. I took it all apart and didn't see anything funny looking. Put it back together and it's still doing the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strut_stopper

Is the slide release still sticking? Or is the locking block not locking up all the way? I'd pull the trigger group out and give it a good cleaning, the factory grease could have picked up some grime and you've got some sticky parts

LaLongbeard

You probably should find a gunsmith, but if you take the trigger group out and pull the forearm/slide assembly and take a pic I can tell you if something wrong.  Something doesn't look right in the shell ejection port of the pic you have. Being a pump there's only like 5 parts that could be broke.
Not to keep beating a dead horse but the New Express models are cheap made. I have been a Remington 870 fan since I was 11 and I wouldn't have a new Express if you gave me a dozen. There's a couple parts that you can change and make it reliable, but a Wingmaster comes factory with the same parts and the money you saved you have to spend on the parts upgrade. The Express has always been a budget gun but the new ones seem to be breaking right out of the box
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

aclawrence

I'm going to see if I can run it to a gunsmith this morning.  A new 870 wasn't my first choice but it was my cheapest route to a small 20 ga and it seemed like most guys have good luck with them. I was really hesitant to buy one and now I'm regretting it.   Maybe I can get it squared away quickly. I'd love to have an old wing master "youth size " set up.

DBell

Quote from: aclawrence on April 04, 2019, 08:29:40 AM
I'm going to see if I can run it to a gunsmith this morning.  A new 870 wasn't my first choice but it was my cheapest route to a small 20 ga and it seemed like most guys have good luck with them. I was really hesitant to buy one and now I'm regretting it.   Maybe I can get it squared away quickly. I'd love to have an old wing master "youth size " set up.

Nothing wrong with the new express. Not an old wingmaster but still great guns. I have two 870 20 ga, one made in 2013 the other in 2017. Never had a hiccup with either. I took both of mine apart and got rid of any and all burrs(there were only a couple) and with some use they have smoothed right out. Now that you mention it, I was in cabelas a couple weeks ago, browsing the used section, and there was a wingmaster that the action would partially pull open without pushing the release. I said hmm and put it back not thinking much of it. Probably a minor fix

aclawrence

Well I got exactly ten shells through mine and now it's down right in the start of the season lol.  So call it what you want but there's a problem with mine. Hopefully minor though.

So if I hold the slide release down it functions normally but if I don't hold it pressed in and pull back on the slide it does this and is all jammed up. I think I'll pull the trigger assembly out right quick and take a look.

aclawrence

aclawrence

Got it all put back together and still the same deal. But now I have figured out if I twist the  fore end clockwise and pull it will not slide back but if I twist it a little counter clockwise and pull it will slide back and jam every time. Seems like it may be a assembly/fit kind of issue. 

Turkeytider

Get it to a gunsmith or back to Remington. They are all mechanical things and subject to the things that happen to mechanical things. There`s not a brand or price level of gun out that you can`t find problems.

aclawrence

The guide bar on the slide is a little flared out on the end. The gunsmith is going to try to fix it or he he'll have to order a new one.

Update, he was able to bend it straight and it seems to have fixed the problem.  Maybe this will help someone else in the future if you run into the same problem. 

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Turkeytider on April 04, 2019, 11:12:51 AM
Get it to a gunsmith or back to Remington. They are all mechanical things and subject to the things that happen to mechanical things. There`s not a brand or price level of gun out that you can`t find problems.
I have never once heard this type of jamming problem from a Wingmaster never.
Never heard of an extractor that slipped or broke either. You get exactly what you pay for. The Express models I've seen lately feel like there's sand in the reciever there so rough. The new Wingmasters are as well made as the old ones, the wood may not be as nice but the bluing and parts are polished and the same material as the older models. But you can find an older Wingmaster for about what an Express costs I don't understand why people keep buying them with all the complaints. Trying to save a few bucks on your gun then paying 10$ a shell is ridiculous.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?