turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Impressed and Proud Dad

Started by tomstopper, March 23, 2019, 05:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Last year I bought my young 11yr old daughter a Mossberg 510 mini 20 gauge as she said she wanted to hunt but at the last minute decided not to (she watched me shoot it with low brass target loads and she said the noise scared her and wanted to wait. She was used to shooting .22's).

I thought that was it and that hopefully I didn't buy a gun that wouldn't get used because my 13 yr old daughter has never showed any interest in shooting or hunting and said no to stepping in last year. Fast forward to about the end of January when I was getting my gun ready and she was watching me and out of the blue asked me if she could hunt this year. I was shocked and immediately said yes.

The gun prep work began here. Thanks to Sam (aka Gooserbat) I followed his advice and removed the butt pad and filled it with about 1 1/2lbs of lead and used some spray foam to stop it from rattling around (worth mentioning that my daughter is very petite and weighs about 80lbs). I then put a truglo red dot on it and installed the factory full choke that came with it and put a limbsaver slip on recoil reducer pad (tricky because it was a little loose but some black sports self sticking wrap wrapped around the stock made it tight when it was slid over it).

My daughter began her prep work next. We went over gun safety first and then the mechanics of the gun. She was ready for dry run practice and it paid off.

I bought a Caldwell Deadshot fieldpod and set it up in the house. With the gun unloaded and the chamber locked to the rear, I put some YouTube turkey videos on and had her practice getting used to the fieldpod and red dot, I had her start tracking turkeys that we're about to be shot.

She felt comfortable with it and with temps around 65 yesterday we decided to head to the range. I started her off with the 22 and her first 2 shots were within 1 1/2 inches of each other and I was convinced she had the basics down and was consistent in her mechanics (breathing and trigger pull).

She said she was ready for "her gun". I mounted the 510 mini to the fieldpod and strapped it down with some small bungie cords. We went over safety and how I wanted her to shoot and where to aim and she began (I shot it to make sure it was on from last year first and it was).

I have some #9 TSS on it's way but have already decided not to have her shoot it until she is ready to take the turkey (again I turned to Sam for his advice on TSS as I have never shot it). I decided to load it with 7 1/2's target loads for now and she got into position and we had placed a target 30 yards away and she took aim and on her first shot nailed it (target is attached). She shot new targets until we went through 10 and we both are super excited about how well she did each time. Can't wait for the TSS to arrive and see how it patterns. Come April 6th she will be ready.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Great news and work with your princess. Mine was similar too. Tall and skinny but shoots very well. When you hear " I got him", it will be one of the best days of your life bro. I asked my daughter if she could shoot at the bird I called in and she said" I could if you would stop shaking", lol. She shot and I asked her if she got him. She turned to me with a big grin and said" He's a jellyhead dad". Best day ever in the woods. Yours is coming, Good luck bro  :funnyturkey:

Takeaim1st

I hear you and your Daughter now. That is just wonderful. I hope all goes well.
I was blessed with a Son and Daughter. Naturally  I love them both dearly. Like you and many other Dads, that Daughter will just about make you burst with happiness. Don't  get me wrong, I love my Son dearly but, it always seemed to me that the Daughter had more fire in Her soul , or something. Especially  when they were as young as yours. I now have a Grandaughter and She just about makes my heart skip beats.
       Sounds as if You have that Dad and Daughter thing down pat. Took your time and let Her feel comfortable with the decision to move forward. God Bless you both and, cherish this time you are having together.

M,Yingling

Good to see its working out ,,,Good luck  :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

randy6471

That's awesome and it's a great opportunity for some daddy/daughter time. Enjoy every minute you get...they grow up fast.

Bowguy

Very cool!! Yea check the gun and only give her turkey loads turkey hunting. Another trick that helps is when shooting inner foam hearing protectors and outer muffs. It makes it even quieter and it feels like it kicks less. My daughters were very petite as well. The younger one was the smallest kid in class but she was killing birds by ten. Best moments of my life watching my kids successfully hunt w me. I'm sure you'll feel the same. Good luck!!!

tomstopper

Quote from: Bowguy on March 23, 2019, 08:38:10 PM
Very cool!! Yea check the gun and only give her turkey loads turkey hunting. Another trick that helps is when shooting inner foam hearing protectors and outer muffs. It makes it even quieter and it feels like it kicks less. My daughters were very petite as well. The younger one was the smallest kid in class but she was killing birds by ten. Best moments of my life watching my kids successfully hunt w me. I'm sure you'll feel the same. Good luck!!!
Yes sir the hearing protection was a big help with my oldest because I used both the plugs and the muffs. Should have used both with my youngest and maybe the sound wouldn't have scared her. Just looking forward for all the memories my daughter and I will be making together

tomstopper

Thanks guys for all the replies. I can tell you guys totally understand. I wouldn't care  if I ever shoot another bird as long as she was my hunting partner. I know the boys will soon be knocking on the door and I just need to cherish these precious times together.

g8rvet

Amen.  Mine never wanted to hunt with me, was a great redfishing partner, but no interest in hunting.  Then at 23, she decided she wanted to turkey hunt.  Still no joy (she skipped hunting 2 different days that I killed a slam dunk that would have been hers if she had been with me), but times with her have been a blast.  Great memories with Daddy! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.