Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

South Texas and MS Public Land Draw Hunt Success!

Started by Gobblerslobber, March 22, 2019, 04:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblerslobber

I put in for three areas here in my home state and was lucky enough to get drawn for a WMA that I have never hunted.
It just so happened that the two days I was drawn for were immediately following my trip to south Texas.
This meant I would not get to hunt the first day and would only have one day to get it done.
The trip to Texas turned out to be tough hunting with cool temps and rain/overcast conditions most of the time I was there.
I did manage to get one bird the first morning that gobbled every time it would thunder on the roost.
He had two hens roosted with him and I managed to talk them into investigating my decoy setup, he followed close behind. Only a two yr old but he put on a show.

With only one day to hunt in MS I looked at onX and made my decision on where to go the night before, and with only 50,000 acres to chose from it was not easy. I made my way into the spot well before daylight and stopped to listen. When daylight started to break a flock of geese flew over and to my surprise a bird gobbles 200yds in front of me. I moved in as close as I felt I could and picked my spot to set up. Ten minutes went by without another gobble and then I hear a hen start tree yelping and two birds start gobbling. I let another ten minutes pass and did a fly down and here they come all landing within 50yds of me, three hens and two toms.
I did a little soft calling and that's all it took to get one of the longbeards to 30. Biggest bird to date!! 21lbs, 1 3/8" spurs and 10" beard

tomstopper

Very nice one. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Gobblerslobber

Thanks guys, I'm going after them in the morning again.

boomer

Congrats and good luck in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gobblerslobber

No luck Saturday morning, heard one but they went the other way. Anyone else do any good this weekend?