OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

why do

Started by slave601, February 11, 2011, 10:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

Companies change their reeds and reed weights of their calls when everything is perfect the way it is? Knight and hale will never get another dollar from me. Their old ultimate hunting team line of mouth calls were flat out awesome. Now its different reeds and color every year. Same thing happened to preston pittmans black diamond. A lot of folks around south ms quit usin em. Is it savin the company to do all this or what? Why not leave well enough alone
"thinnin the flock"

redarrow

Harold and David don't really have any say anymore. Just figure heads since Pradco took over. Pradco is about money.

slave601

well pradco better realize that crappy calls will make them no money in the end. its a shame at how good their old calls were compared to the crap they sale now.
"thinnin the flock"

VAHUNTER

unless you buy  custom hand stretched call like Perfection or Hooks you will have this trouble. those mass produced call makers use whatever they can find at the best price. check out Perfections lineup. the Trifecta is a awsome call!!!
www.perfectionturkeycalls.com
Good things come to those who wait

Mailman

Hooks all the way. Great customer service!!!
One Shot One Kill

harvester

Its all about the $$$ with these big time call makers.

Turkey1986

I'm assuming mad calls new Billy yargus line is mass produced... However I like them better than the woodhaven version... And I'm a huge woodhaven fan!
I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. - Col. Tom Kelly

RaspyD

Because the same people don't make their calls year in and year out.  They shop around to see who can make them cheaper from year to year.  The result is differences in latex with differences in thicknesses and varying tensions on the stretch...which adds up to inconsistency in their product.

Perfection Turkey Calls

slave601

if i woulda known they were gonna do all this i woulda bought 50 of their triple cutters.. i ordered a few calls from hooks yesterday. hopefully they will have somethin i like.
"thinnin the flock"

turkey slayer

Quote from: harvester on February 12, 2011, 08:19:53 AM
Its all about the $$$ with these big time call makers.
sad but true everything is about the money.

gob09

i know quality should be first in anything a man does but is'nt making money the name of the game

shootumindaface

Quote from: slave601 on February 11, 2011, 10:27:54 PM
Companies change their reeds and reed weights of their calls when everything is perfect the way it is? Knight and hale will never get another dollar from me. Their old ultimate hunting team line of mouth calls were flat out awesome. Now its different reeds and color every year. Same thing happened to preston pittmans black diamond. A lot of folks around south ms quit usin em. Is it savin the company to do all this or what? Why not leave well enough alone

Sometimes inevitable.. For the most part the latex that is used in the calls, is not manufactured for mouth calls.. Its made for the medical industry and who else knows what.. So the tolerances for the latex is not as tight as it should be for making musical instruments.. If the latex is supposed to be .003, alot of times its .0035 or .0028.. Not a big difference in a glove, but that much difference in one reed of a call can make a world of difference.. A good call builder will notice these differences and accommodate as best as possible through a slight change in tension to build your new call like your last.. These changes can occur every shipment of supplies..

As for the Knight and Hale Ultimate calls with the goldish color reeds.. Man I whooped some birds with them in high school.. I used to really like Knight and Hale mouth calls back then, they were good calls.. At the end it just seemed there was no consistency and they were really tuggin in the back tension.. As for that original Gold latex, I do not believe they can get it anymore..

Same with Pittmans RX1 latex.. Heard that stuff was the shizzle, but I do not believe its available anymore.. It really isn't his fault. The mouth call supply market is just to small a market to make demands in the vast latex industry..

Quote from: Turkey1986 on February 12, 2011, 08:27:47 AM
I'm assuming mad calls new Billy yargus line is mass produced... However I like them better than the woodhaven version... And I'm a huge woodhaven fan!
From what I have heard Billy is stretching his own line of calls himself..

Quote from: gob09 on February 12, 2011, 09:28:23 AM
i know quality should be first in anything a man does but isn't making money the name of the game
No doubt.. But the 8-12 dollar mouth call thing is getting ridiculous.

allchokedup

I hate hearing that. I don't use their calls, but I love listening to Harold Knight on a mouth call. I hope they change directions.

slave601

Yep the old golden colored ones were bad to the bone. That new junk they got is horrible
"thinnin the flock"