OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Encore..

Started by limhnger, March 14, 2019, 12:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limhnger

Anybody shoot this in 12 or 20 ga??

mnbeardbuster

I have 2x 12ga and a 20ga barrel

1iagobblergetter

That's exactly what I shoot in 12g. topped with a nikon turkey pro.

Strutr

Yep, I've had a 12 ga Encore for about 15 years and really like it.  It's a sweet gun to carry in the turkey woods as long as you're confident with your shooting.  I've swapped the fiber optic sights out for a mini reflex red dot and added a Limbsavers recoil pad.  Last year, I picked up a Carlson's Longbeard .660 choke and am now shooting #6 Winchester Longbeard XR's with great patterns.  Gotta aim real carefully if I let him get inside of 20yds. 

valerio024

I've got an encore and have been looking at 20 ga barrels for it. Man are they expensive! Twice the cost of a Savage 301 Turkey. Anyone know of a good deal on a barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paintbrush

I shoot one. Have both the .12 ga and .20 ga barrels for it. Great lightweight gun for running-n-gunning.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: limhnger on March 14, 2019, 12:23:05 PM
Anybody shoot this in 12 or 20 ga??

I actually have 2 exactly like the one posted(camo). I wish I would have bought a matching 20g. Barrel and forend for one of them and if I ever find one will pay good money for it for sure. I have the 12g. Shotgun barrel, 2 shotgun muzzleloader barrels and a .50cal muzzleloader barrel all matching camo like the gun posted..
I have numerous turkey guns (benellis,rems,mossbergs,etc and i always grab the Encore.

gobblers roost

20 guage 12 kicks like a mule

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Strutr

I'll admit that my 12 ga Encore with heavy 3" shells does kick a bit.  One of my buddies shoots a 10 ga H&R single and says that he would rather shoot it than my Encore.  haha 

Last year, I noticed that my oem recoil pad seemed like it was no longer soft like when it was new.  I invested in a Limbsavers recoil pad and it did seem to help a little, especially while shooting at the patterning board.  I figure that I spend way more time carrying my gun than shooting it so I'll just deal with the recoil.  I'm thinking that if I should ever decide that 3" mags are too much, rather than buying a pricey 20 ga barrel, I'll simply switch to the lighter 2.75" mag loads.

mightyjoeyoung

Been running the prohunter 20 gauge barrel on one of my Encore frames for about 8 years now.  Took A LOT of tinkering to get it to shoot the patterns I wanted.  That said I have shot the 12 and it will light you up with heavy turkey loads. Replaced the OEM pad with a Simms and added one of those Beretta stick on comb pads.  Took a bunch of the sting out, that I believe is mostly due to cheek slap. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

RED NECK

I originally bought the pro hunter in 12 gauge,It kicks like a mule and was a nice gun.I then purchased the 20 gauge barrel for the gun and it is a great gun.I basically gave the 12 ga barrel to my father to use as I will not use it.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

mtns2hunt

I am shooting an encore 20g this year. I kept hearing the 12 is a real beast so choose the 20g. Someone wrote on this forum that it was a sweet shooting gun in 20g and the recoil was like that of a 22 rifle. I have to disagree with that assessment. It may be mild with regular 20 gauge 2 2/3 shells which I initially used to sight in my POI. But when I dropped in that 3" it's kick was multiplied by a factor of 3 at least. I never feel any thing when shooting at a turkey but shooting at a target gets old fast. Still the gun patterns extremely well.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: mtns2hunt on April 01, 2019, 08:41:08 PM
I am shooting an encore 20g this year. I kept hearing the 12 is a real beast so choose the 20g. Someone wrote on this forum that it was a sweet shooting gun in 20g and the recoil was like that of a 22 rifle. I have to disagree with that assessment. It may be mild with regular 20 gauge 2 2/3 shells which I initially used to sight in my POI. But when I dropped in that 3" it's kick was multiplied by a factor of 3 at least. I never feel any thing when shooting at a turkey but shooting at a target gets old fast. Still the gun patterns extremely well.

It sure is snappy for a 20 gauge isn't it?  Its the stock design. It seems to almost enhance recoil. Lol. Get a neoprene stock sleeve, like a beartooth comb riser kit and a Simms pad and it'll take right back down...most of the way. Lol.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 02, 2019, 10:33:10 AM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on April 01, 2019, 08:41:08 PM

It sure is snappy for a 20 gauge isn't it?  Its the stock design. It seems to almost enhance recoil. Lol. Get a neoprene stock sleeve, like a beartooth comb riser kit and a Simms pad and it'll take right back down...most of the way. Lol.

Thanks for the suggestion! never thought about something like the bear tooth. Could really use it during practice. Does not really matter when hunting but I do like the model with the loops.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Dazzler

I have an encore and have been looking for a turkey barrel, but they are expensive. Is the 12 really that bad?

Also, how are you camouflaging your frames like in the picture?