OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just bought an 870 SM....need advice please!

Started by aaronward9, April 29, 2011, 06:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronward9

I went to a gun show today and picked up a NIB Rem 870 Super Mag. What would be a good 3" and 3.5" shell/choke combo to shoot out of this? I have a nice 870 20 ga. I setup for my wife, but I think she can handle the 12 ga so I'm going to sell the 20 ga. and setup this 870 SM for her. She will be shooting the 3" shells and I will be shooting the 3.5" (this will be my back-up gun). What would best setup for us? Is there a choke out there that would pattern good with both 3" and 3.5" shells?

All help is appreciated in advance!

Deputy 14

A lot of guys don't like them but I'm getting good patterns out of mine with 3/1/2 mag blends and a .662 hevi choke. I m putting over 200 in a 10 inch circle at a lasered 50 yards.

stick bow

I have mine setup with an IC .665 gets great pattarns with 3" winchester super X #6's. The 3.5 magblends really nothing to right home about out of mine gun. I try more shells for next year our season in over for me.

honker22

Since it's for your wife, you may want to go with the 3" Hevi 13 6s or 7s.  The Magblends and Wins pack a much bigger kick, and there is little benefit other than some velocity.  There are many choke combos that'll work with the H13 shells.  It depends on how much you want to spend.  If you want to go the cheap route, the JH .665 and .660 seem to work well.  If you want to go with the best, I'd try an Indian Creek .665 or possibly a Pure Gold .670. 

I shoot an 870 and used to shoot 6s and 7s and I got good patterns out of the JH .665.  I now handload my own shells and use an IC .675
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

BigPeck215

hevi 13 3" 2oz 7's, and in terms of choke tubes it depends on what you want to do, hunting patterns or target patterns, if you want nice hunting patterns go with a pure gold 670 or an indian creek .675, if you want big numbers go with a indian creek .665 or a sum toys customs choke

gooblnfever

my rhino .660 puts up some great #s out of my 870 and 3.5s

SumToy

The thing with a gun/choke combo it work this one and not that one.  
We see that it works in this north not in mid west or mid west not in the south.  I have saw one gun shoot and take the choke out and put in another one just like it look like a bird gun.  

So find you someone you like and can deal with that will work with you.

ST,IC,or PG

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Mild Bill

Quote from: aaronward9 on April 29, 2011, 06:32:29 PM
I went to a gun show today and picked up a NIB Rem 870 Super Mag. What would be a good 3" and 3.5" shell/choke combo to shoot out of this? I have a nice 870 20 ga. I setup for my wife, but I think she can handle the 12 ga so I'm going to sell the 20 ga. and setup this 870 SM for her. She will be shooting the 3" shells and I will be shooting the 3.5" (this will be my back-up gun). What would best setup for us? Is there a choke out there that would pattern good with both 3" and 3.5" shells?

All help is appreciated in advance!

If I was you I would not sell that 20 gauge until your wife decides she likes the 12 better....  not saying she won't like the 12  but if someone sold your gun before letting you get a new one you were more satisfied with I bet you wouldn't be to happy either.
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

va longbeard

Pure Gold 670 choke or Indian Creek 665.

Hevi 3 1/2 inch 2 1/4 once 7s or the same in Nitros.

These are mean combos!

gophert

I would never get rid of the 20 ga.  Set-up correctly....it is a turkey killing machine at half the weight!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: gophert on April 30, 2011, 09:10:01 PM
I would never get rid of the 20 ga.  Set-up correctly....it is a turkey killing machine at half the weight!

AMEN
it's not the harvest,it's the chase