OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wind Effect on POI

Started by WildSpur, April 29, 2011, 04:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

Today I was doing a final elevation adjustment on my gun.  I am using a FF2 and only needed to adjust elevation.  My windage has been good.  Today we have 15-20 MPH winds and it does feel like it was gusting harder that that.  At 40 yards, my pattern was approximately 6" off center to the right--the same direction the wind was blowing.  My gut instinct is telling me it was the wind shifting my POI but 6" seems like alot to me.  On a good note, my elevation was corrected.  I did not move my windage afterwards to compensate.  What are some of your experiences with shooting in the wind?   :thanks:

Cluck more, yelp less

SR1

Wind can and will move your pattern around dont try and chase or guess how much it may drift when hunting. If its real windy when hunting just try and get the bird closer so there is less affect on the charge.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

doepee

I just asked this question not long ago with the same mph winds that you just described.. I had sighted in my williams firesights and they were dead on at 40 yards then I went out to shoot again and they were off 4 to 6 inches the way the wind was blowing.. all my answers were that the wind had caused this.. I was shooting heavy 7s 3.5 in, I really didn't know that the wind would effect the pattern like that..

3" 870 Shell Shucker

In the winds you describe, at 30 Yards you probably won't see more than 2 to 3 inches of movement in the center of your pattern, but at 40 Yards you may very well see 6 inches of movement.

Wind makes a big difference at 40 Yards and beyond.