turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Purring on mouth call

Started by Harty, March 02, 2019, 02:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harty

I've used a mouth call more more years then I care to admit. I would term myself adequate with most calls with the exception being purring. I've watched videos on Facebook and other instructional, but just can't get it. I know I don't need to to kill birds ,but it's just so frustrating. I still try on occasion.
Any words of wisdom or suggestions?

Bowguy

Idk bud I don't find it impossible but it is easier on some calls than others. What calls you running?

bbcoach

It took me a while to get purring down, which was probably the hardest for me as well but like the rest of the calls you perform, you practice and then it just happens.  For me, I flutter my tongue.  I learned the technique by practicing without a call in my mouth.  Take your tongue and put it to the roof of your mouth, allow air to flow from your diaphragm (by tightening your stomach muscles), between the roof of your mouth and tongue.  As you force the air from your diaphragm, flutter the tip of your tongue.  Do a dry run several times without the call and then insert it and try.  2 things 1. make sure your are tightening your stomach muscles for the proper air (not blowing) and 2. concentrate on the tongue flutter with your lips slightly open.  It will come.  Good luck.

Harty

Quote from: Bowguy on March 02, 2019, 03:27:47 PM
Idk bud I don't find it impossible but it is easier on some calls than others. What calls you running?

Woodhaven mostly; v- cuts(Scott Ellis. new energy, combo cuts, ghost cuts

Harty

Quote from: bbcoach on March 02, 2019, 03:28:06 PM
It took me a while to get purring down, which was probably the hardest for me as well but like the rest of the calls you perform, you practice and then it just happens.  For me, I flutter my tongue.  I learned the technique by practicing without a call in my mouth.  Take your tongue and put it to the roof of your mouth, allow air to flow from your diaphragm (by tightening your stomach muscles), between the roof of your mouth and tongue.  As you force the air from your diaphragm, flutter the tip of your tongue.  Do a dry run several times without the call and then insert it and try.  2 things 1. make sure your are tightening your stomach muscles for the proper air (not blowing) and 2. concentrate on the tonguflutter with your lips slightly open.  It will come.  Good luck.

Thanks coach. I'll give it a try again. Plenty of time to practice in Wisconsin with two feet of snow on the ground and sub zero temps on the way again

Happy

I use the gargle method cause I think it sounds the most realistic.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MK M GOBL

Hey Harty,

I use the "Gargle" technique, just start by using water and get yourself to gargle. Do this until you very consistent at it, then start to do the gargle without water (no call yet), then once you have that down, try an easy mouth call, plain 2 reed and start your purring with that, once you gain control you will be able to switch to other call and can change light to hard pressure, It may take you a bit but it the best way I have ever taught anyone.

MK M GOBL

GobbleNut

From what I have seen, purring is the most difficult call to learn on a mouth call.  Realism comes from a combination of user mechanics and the call used.  Gargling, tongue fluttering, or a combination of both generally make the best purrs,...if the caller has the patience to stick with the process of learning how to do it.  Most don't, and that is usually because it is so much easier to use a good pot call to produce and accurate purr. 

There are also some "complications" with mouth call purring.  A lot of people can purr realistically when not under pressure,...but having a gobbler standing out there deciding on whether or not to come on in can cause sudden lock-jaw for the mouth call purr-er.  In addition, many mouth calls that make great yelps, clucks, and cuts don't necessarily make great purrs.  Changing mouth calls so you can purr with a gobbler eye-balling you can be tricky business. 

All in all, for many, it is best just to stick with purring on a different type of calling instrument.

Sir-diealot

I am by no means great at it but I have had the most luck vibrating my  uvula as I blow across the call.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bowguy

Quote from: Harty on March 02, 2019, 06:06:37 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 02, 2019, 03:27:47 PM

Woodhaven mostly; v- cuts(Scott Ellis. new energy, combo cuts, ghost cuts

I'm not real familiar w woodhaven. They ran too inconsistant for me so I can't help w them but just make sure reeds aren't super stiff and require lots of air pressure to blow. It's possible to purr on any call though.

BTH

I use a hooks executioner 2 and a cane creek lost poult to purr with. Best trick I learned when rolling the tongue was to not anchor the call to the roof of my mouth. Let the call roll as your tongue flutters with your mouth almost completely closed. The sound almost squeezes out through my lips.
Phil 4:13

bbcoach

I personally use a hooks executioner or ghost cut to purr on.  It's easier, for me to use a 2 or 2 1/2 reed call.  These don't require as much air pressure.

g8rvet

I use tongue flutter, more like a diver duck call than a mallard feeding call which is more of a "ticket, ticket, ticket" motion. For me, I need a call that can make sound with very little pressure.  The harder to run calls, that require more air for yelping, don't make a good purr.  The best time to practice it once you get confident with it during the offseason is to do it to a lone or group of hens.  I do a light purr with a little cluck, that sounds more like a chirp.  Seems to put them at ease, not to aggressive looking for the source, they just kind of feed around. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Harty

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help ,recommendations, and Encouragement .  I switched to an old
HS Strut double reed that is very flexible. It made a difference and I think I'm going to get it.was using calls that were too stiff . Hooks seems to be a popular mouth call. Maybe time to try something different.ill give them a call

compton30

Just keep at it and try to stay positive until you find what works for you. What you're endeavoring is, in my opinion, the most difficult call to master of any call you can pick up. Good luck and just keep working on it.