OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ammo on Airplane

Started by WV Flopper, February 24, 2019, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

I have read the instructions and it seems to be a pain to fly with ammo. I am flying to Florida in a couple weeks, checking my gun. The ammo instructions say a full box of factory boxed ammo. Well, I ain't packing 25 Nitros to Florida. I don't have a metal lockable box. Is it that much of a pain?
Last time I flew I went to Idaho, I bought 10g shells there. Before the Nitros. Thinking of shipping the shells in the mail, any problems with this? It seems to be the easier route.
Any info please.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Which airline are you flying with?  The TSA regulations aren't that specific about factory boxes.
Here's what Southwest says.

The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

I use the smaller 5 shell boxes left over from Federal Heavyweight shells to pack my hand loads.  No issues ever.  I believe the point is to prevent the shells from bouncing around.  You cannot legally ship ammo through USPS mail.  You'll have to use UPS or Fed Ex if you decide to go that route.

WV Flopper

bbcoach

Check with United but Raps said it best.  Get a 5 shell box or 2, fill them, stick them in your locked gun case and you should be good to go.  You are going to pay the airline to ship the gun, don't pay extra to ship your ammo.  Hopefully, when you return you should have a box that isn't full.  I've traveled to Kansas and South Dakota via airplane and never had a problem with TSA.  Good luck.

zelmo1

2/3 boxes of 5 in your locked case is satisfactory on all airlines bro

Curtdawg88

Try one of those neoprene shell holders made for duck hunting. I did that once and it works great. Lays pretty flat in your locked gun case and holds the shells nice and secure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

ddturkeyhunter

Just because you haven't done before your making more out of it then needed. I fly Delta, but TSA is TSA, they just want the shell in some thing secure. Call your airline for peace of mind. And good luck, I will beheaded down also March14. Getting close

randy6471

Been a couple years, but last time that I flew United I had my ammo in a factory box (not full). At check in the TSA agent made me take the box of ammo out of my gun case and put it into my duffle bag. He said that ammo and gun could not be together, even though case would be locked.

Best bet is to call ahead as ddturkey hunter said, but it's usually not a big deal. Good luck and enjoy!

Spurs Up

No worries.  Like others, I place my homegrown ammo in a factory carton/box. Usually not full to the brim.  And, place it in the locked gun case along side the fully assembled but unloaded gun. You'll have no problem unless you're going out of or into a NYC airport. If that's the case, take bail money.

Bill Cooksey

Just put it in some kind of box and pack it in your luggage. I flew to Florida in January for a duck hunt. Put four boxes of steel shot in my duffle with my clothes. Ammo is no big deal as long as it is in a box. TSA and the airlines have been back and forth on whether you can put it in your gun case ever since 911.

I've flown somewhere to hunt, some years many times, every year since '99. Don't sweat it. Just pack it.

RS

I flew from Charlotte to Omaha and back for a hunt in Neb. a couple years ago and just used a Winchester factory 10 round box in my checked luggage. I had both Win and Federal ammo in it. TSA and the airline asked about it when I checked in at Charlotte but said they didn't need to see it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't in my carry on.  In Omaha they didn't even ask about ammo.

joey46

These discussions are an annual event.  I am both a retired LEO that worked in an international airport for a few years and was an aircraft ground handler employee for a few more years after retiring from the PD (however not an attorney and other blah blah to cover myself).   That said every airline has a written Contract of Carriage and a written set of instructions for checking both firearms and ammo on their web sites.  Read that and if you are still confused go to the airport prior to your flight and ask at the counter at an off peak time.  When approaching the counter I ALWAYS say I have a "sporting firearm to check in can you help me".   That is just a personal tip since it seems to calm everyone down when they recognize the gun case.  You never touch the actual gun in the airport. You never let a "skycap" take the case up for you or check at the curb.  BTW - to whomever said a TSA told them the ammo can't be in the same locked case - that TSA was full of crap. Securely packaged ammo just can't be in any carry on.  Being told to transfer ammo from a locked hard case into a soft duffle is a headshaker.  Yes, there are now horror stories on different forums from guys that flights were diverted to "blue state" airports.  Ask for guidance BEFORE taking possession of your firearm in one of these venues.  I'm betting the NRA help forums can give you further guidance if needed.  Good luck.   

PharmHunter

Have never put ammo in case with my gun.  Have been told you couldn't actually.  Just put a box of your choosing in your checked luggage and roll.  Any factory box has been fine in my experience. 

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: PharmHunter on February 26, 2019, 09:54:46 AM
Have never put ammo in case with my gun.  Have been told you couldn't actually.  Just put a box of your choosing in your checked luggage and roll.  Any factory box has been fine in my experience.

I have always put my ammo in my gun case, but that is what I was told to do. So best to just call your airlines few days before your flight and ask them. I do that every year I fly to Florida hunting, never know what could have changed from yesterday. One other thing I also do, nothing to do with ammo. Is I put one of them child proof cable locks through my open gun magazine. As soon as the case is opened the Ticket attendant can see the gun is unloaded and it is locked.

g8rvet

Took me two seconds on google.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/sports-equipment.html

You can pack the ammo in original boxes in the same locked container as the firearm.  Just make a copy of United's policy and TSA policy and carry it with you to the airport and on the flight.  If the TSA agent does not know the policy, you can just pull it out and show them.  Just be polite and not argumentative and you will be fine.  I was told wrong by two Canadian and one TSA agents in Toronto.  They said they would let me fly, but it was wrong to have ammo in firearm case (WRONG - in Canada it is allowed, but only with shotguns - they just did not know any better).  Since they were not trying to stop us, we just closed the case and locked it, knowing we were fine.  99% of the time, it is just not a big deal.  You may want to check any state regs for where you are flying out of as well-for transport into the airport. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.