OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most versatile base for 870?

Started by valerio024, February 18, 2019, 06:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valerio024

I'm looking to drill and tap my 870 and am looking for base options. What's the most versatile way to go? Does the Sumtoy mount only work the the venom and FF3? What can I mount using the Marlin 336? If I go Weaver 429M I think I could mount a red dot or scope? What are the disadvantages of going that route? Thanks for your experience guys.

ShootingABN!

Man lots of people have viewed your question and no one is giving you an answer.

I can't answer your question. However I did have my old 870 drilled and tapped. I went on ebay and ordered an 870 base. I'm running a TruGlo scope. It came with cheap rings, cost me a turkey or two. Replaced with steel rings.

I would recommend contacting William directly at SumToy with your question. He'll get you dialed in.

Good luck.

joey46

After weighing all the options years ago and being very disappointed with the saddle mounts I found a cantilever barrel (24" ) and have never looked back.

Deputy 14

I'd also recommend contacting Sumtoy and he can tell you what you'll need for what you want. As for most versatile I'd say a mil spec pic rail.

blake_08

The sumtoy mounts look great with the fast fire 3 etc, but honestly if i were you i'd get a picatinny rail from EGW guns or the like and drill and tap for it. It'll give you more options later on if you want to change optics. I started with a red dot on my 870 but i have now gone to a fixed 4x scope and so far i like it much better.

LRD

I have the Marlin 336 mounted on mine for a FF3 and really like it.  I don't think though that I have the option to switch to a scope down the road.  I am good with that but a rail might be your best option for changing things down the road.

Gobble!

Chose to put a weaver base on mine encase I ever decided to put a scope on it. Using a Burris FF now.

https://www.mountsplus.com/weaver-429m-top-mount-base-48454-for-remington-870.html

Gobble!

Did the same on this 20 gauge. Its not as pretty as SumToys mount but like i said I could use a small fast fire or a scope if I wanted to.

kdfester

I went with the sumtoy base mainly because it sits the lowest to the receiver.  I was extremely worried about recoil beating my cheekbone of the stock if I didnt have good cheekweld.  I added a shurshot stock to raise the comb also and bring my line of sight directly inline with the ff3.  I cant speak on what other sights fit this set up. I first chose the sight then the mount.

skimerhorn

I put on a weaver base. Had a tru glo on it first, now a vortex. On my next gun think I'm gonna go with a sumtoy right from the start

3bailey3

Ozarks Hillbilly

EGW is the way to go IMHO

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SOCOM304

EGW or Weaver Multi-slot. Both are like a picatinny rail. Lots of mounting options for a reflex sight or traditional scope. You will have more in gunsmith cost for four holes, but the options will be abundant. If you know you want a reflex style sight for sure, go with Williams Mount he makes, a 336 mount, or just use a full size base cut to fit your needs and only have two holes to drill. Best of luck any way you go.

TNTRKYHunter

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on February 19, 2019, 10:10:48 PM
EGW is the way to go IMHO

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
^^^Agreed^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valerio024

Thanks for all the input guys.  I decided to go with the Weaver 429M because it has cleaner lines than a picatinny type rail.  Better yet I found a reputable gunsmith who will drill and tap the 4 holes for $40!