OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rutland dymondwood strikers?

Started by raven105, February 11, 2019, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raven105

What is the significance of Rutland dymondwood? Why are those strikers so sought after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sx4

Also what are the best colors? If I can add to his questions. :gobble:

BTH

Rutland manf facility where Dymondwood veneer was laid up, glued and finished burned down several years ago. Original Rutland brand Dymondwood has no inventory ..so what's out there is it. They run and sound good on a wide variety of surfaces.

I like the lighter colors with natural wood color in between myself.
Phil 4:13

compton30

Rutland Plywood was the maker of the original Dymondwood. I believe, and I could be wrong, is made of laminated birch that is compressed to make it very hard. If that's not correct I hope someone offers a correction.

Anyhow, the reason it makes for such a great striker, is for several reasons. Probably the most significant is because it is an artificial product, which means there's no tree to tree variability and it's very consistent. Also, it's very hard, which makes for a great striker.

I have heard that there is some sound difference in the different colors from one of the call/striker makers on this forum, but I can't remember which. I'm sure that there will be some further explanation from more knowledgeable sources! The reason OG is the best!

raven105

Thanks fellas! Good info here. That explains why I like the Woodhaven birch strikers so much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe the Rutland ones are the original version? I've seen strikers advertised as original Rutland dymondwood and wondered if there's any way to verify that? Seems like it would be difficult to differentiate from any other laminate.

JLH

Quote from: raven105 on February 11, 2019, 10:44:33 PM
Thanks fellas! Good info here. That explains why I like the Woodhaven birch strikers so much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe the Rutland ones are the original version? I've seen strikers advertised as original Rutland dymondwood and wondered if there's any way to verify that? Seems like it would be difficult to differentiate from any other laminate.

There are 2 different laminates still available...dymalux and spectraply.

Dymalux is closer to the rutland dymondwood because it quite heavy....it is infused with resin, which makes it more like plastic than wood....to me, not quite as "grippy" on a call. But it still plays nice when you condition the tip often.

Spectraply is very lightweight....it makes a decent striker, has good grip, but doesn't have much weight to it...tends to play high.

The original dymondwood is quite heavy, and hard.....behaves more like wood and has fantastic grip on a call, probably why guys like it so much.
You can find the dowels to make a 2piece striker....but blanks for a 1 piece are hard to find, and they ain't cheap.

I'm sure the rutland, and the others have a color pattern that is unique to the product....I have not researched that.

Harty

Quote from: JLH on February 11, 2019, 11:17:09 PM
Quote from: raven105 on February 11, 2019, 10:44:33 PM

There are 2 different laminates still available...dymalux and spectraply.

Dymalux is closer to the rutland dymondwood because it quite heavy....it is infused with resin, which makes it more like plastic than wood....to me, not quite as "grippy" on a call. But it still plays nice when you condition the tip often.

Spectraply is very lightweight....it makes a decent striker, has good grip, but doesn't have much weight to it...tends to play high.

The original dymondwood is quite heavy, and hard.....behaves more like wood and has fantastic grip on a call, probably why guys like it so much.
You can find the dowels to make a 2piece striker....but blanks for a 1 piece are hard to find, and they ain't cheap.

I'm sure the rutland, and the others have a color pattern that is unique to the product....I have not researched that.

JLH is spot on here. I've tried the dymalux and Spectraply . They're OK , but I've settled on the original dymondwood . As mentioned they grip well and have proved very versatile working on different surfaces.i have not noted a difference with the different color patterns ,but have heard from others that there is a difference (my hearing discrimination is not what it used to be).my 9 yr old grandson always reaches for a Rutland Dymondwood when he is working a call. He says they just work better,but I think he likes the different colors.

There are individuals on this site that still have a fairly good inventory with a wide range of colors. Regardless, with an inventory that cannot be replenished the cost seems to be going up a bit every year.
They are not inexpensive.seems I talked myself into buying a few more!

M,Yingling

I always liked the red and black ,,, i think now days the closest your going to find to the rutland is the webb wood    Phenolic - Medium or high  Density,,,, The smart ones grab every bit they could when place first burnt down ,,, i sell alittle (sometimes)  when i need the funds for cool looking woods
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

owego

The dymondwood rods was impregnated with a hard glue. I use to get all my rods of Rutland The 1st yr they came out with dymondwood they sent me 100 36" rods to try. I did not like them as they would slip more then the laminated rods I was getting from them. I sold them to guy in VA. Just before  they burned down I got 2000 36" rods from them which all my Corian & most of my wood calls come with. I have about 500 rods left. Those rods are laminated birch & not impregnated with glue. Look at my web site & see the laminated calls made from the same wood. I have a barn load of that wood in 2 1/4" thick & enough to last me a lifetime. Here is a link to see these strikers work & you will see my laminated call. http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/strikers/lighthouse-head-strikers/

mmclain

I called the rep at the Factory that makes Dymalux.  They said they had to develop the process Rutland used on their own it took several years.  It it's close but not the same.  The process method differs and creates the difference although the material used is the same.   Rutland to me  is just a little less resinous and a little lighter weight    I turned 2 strikers completely identical too the .001th.  The Dymalux was heavier.  Both dymondwood and Dymalux resin loads up on a glass calling surface the higher resin content in the Dymalux makes it happen quicker.