Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBE II with Jellyhead .660 and Hevi 13(Patterns at 40 and 60)

Started by Borden811, April 27, 2011, 05:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Ok guys, here are the patterns as promised.  It was windy as heck today, but it was 74 degrees and partly sunny. Rain is forecast for the rest of the week, so I went ahead and shot. My gun is completely stock, and I just use the bead(no scope or rifle sights). Previous testing had my gun averaging 260 with this years "crappy" 2.25oz Hevi 13-7's. The shells I shot today were from last year, and were lot number 300326(a.k.a. "the good ones"). I wanted to see what these would do at 40 yards, and guys had been asking for pics of a 60 yard pattern, so I shot one of those too, just for fun. Here are the results

First shot out of a clean barrel was at 40 yards. The wind was blowing left to right, so I'm assuming that would account for me hitting to the right. The gun is set up to hit high, as I always aim for the wattles.

I pulled a bore snake through the bore twice,  moved the target out to 60 yards, and loaded up the second round of the good 7s.  When the wind calmed for a second, I squeezed off the shot . The pattern was centered perfectly, and just a tad high. Nothing amazing, but it would have killed the bird I suppose, if I had horribly misjudged the yardage and shot at one that far.

After that, I moved the target back to 40, pulled the boresnake through twice more, and loaded up a Mag Blend I had, just to see how they shot out of my gun. I don't think I'll be buying any of them in the near future. It was a nice even pattern, but the density just wasn't there. Also, the shot hit about 8 inches left, and 6 inches high. Definately a different POI than the 7's.

The 7's and I are ready for the PA opener. Saturday can't get here soon enough!  :z-guntootsmiley:

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

njdevilsb

I think that will work. 

I had about the same results with the Mag Blend.  I tried the 3" and I had 158, compared to 288 with the 3.5" #7's.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

beagler

Never Misses

drenalinld

Very nice!!
My SBEII has averaged about 280 in the 10" with Rhino 0.660" and H-13 #7's. I only got 80 at 60 yards. I have to try the Jellyhead.

Basser69

doepee

Wow , I have a sbe 2  with a jellyhead choke .660 and only got 200 in ten at 40.  50 wasnt worth counting... barrel was very clean , had never been shot and I cleaned it very good with hoppes . Will hunt with it this year but looking for a different choke after season..

goblr77

Quote from: drenalinld on April 29, 2011, 09:21:18 AM
Very nice!!
My SBEII has averaged about 280 in the 10" with Rhino 0.660" and H-13 #7's. I only got 80 at 60 yards. I have to try the Jellyhead.

That's about the same dropoff I had. I shot my Xtrema earlier this week with a badly fouled bore in a 10-15 mph swirling wind. Patterned in the 280's at 40 and in the high 70's at 60. I've busted 330 @ 40 out of this rig with a clean bore on a dead calm day.

Borden811

Yeah, I'm extremely happy with it. Especially for it being completely stock, and the first aftermarket choke I ever tried in it was the Jellyhead. It performed so well, I never bothered trying anything else. I guess I'm one of those fortunate few, that found the perfect combo on the first try. The season starts tomorrow here, and if the birds do the same thing they did this morning, I'll have pics to post of what that pattern will do to a nice longbeard's face!

trkehunr93

Quote from: doepee on April 29, 2011, 10:11:22 AM
Wow , I have a sbe 2  with a jellyhead choke .660 and only got 200 in ten at 40.  50 wasnt worth counting... barrel was very clean , had never been shot and I cleaned it very good with hoppes . Will hunt with it this year but looking for a different choke after season..

A deep clean and a barrell polishing may be in order, I would try that before getting a new choke.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Borden811

Quote from: trkehunr93 on April 29, 2011, 12:23:17 PM
Quote from: doepee on April 29, 2011, 10:11:22 AM

A deep clean and a barrell polishing may be in order, I would try that before getting a new choke.

A deep clean, yes. However, I'm not so sure I would recommend polishing the barrel of a benelli. They have a thin chrome lining, and I would be leery of polishing it away.

doepee

I did deep clean it , the gun was brand new and I swabed the bore with hoppes and a new brush forever ran some cloth through it and cleaned it again with the brush and hoppes and I dryed it with some clean cloth...since it does have the chrome lining I am not going to polish it... good enough to hunt with this year but I am amazed at some of the patterns people were getting with the jellyhead... might try a sumtoy or a rob roberts or maybe even a ssx..