OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I’m a spurs guy

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 07, 2024, 10:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I like beards AND spurs, however, 1-1/2" spurs or better are from a trophy gobbler. I've had many limb hangers due to the fact that I started turkey hunting in Florida, and Osceolas are famous for long, hooked spurs. I've gotten 2 gobblers that had 1-1/2" twin spurs. One was a Florida Registry Osceola, and the other was a Michigan stud Eastern.

Muzzy61

Count me in as a spur guy.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

nybowhunter

We don't usually get really long spurs in the Northeast, but I did have one awesome bird with double beard and spurs over 1.5" that was amazing. I wanted to get it remounted and sent the beard and spurs off and never heard back from the guy so on a quest to get a new set of long spurs. The picture and memory will have to do for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey46

I guess spurs. See a lot of 10 and 11" beards but seldom any 1 1/2" spurs. Since I assisted in calling in a 1 1/2" spurred monster this year I may be biased.  Lol.

ScottTaulbee

My favorite thing about turkeys is the breast first, any other aesthetics afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp_870

I'm in it for the overall experience of the hunt, but when you pick one up and see some hooks on him it makes it that much better. Kinda like killing a banded greenhead.

cracker4112

Check the avatar, 2" bird from several year back.  I love spurs and beards, but I really just like watching them die, no matter who is pulling the trigger.

WV Flopper

Today

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

I'm more interested in weight of a turkey than anything.  A 23+ pound longbeard in these parts will have great spurs, beard, and more than a couple birthdays.  I agree with Gobble Nut about the hunt being the trophy.  I don't turn my nose up at suicidal 2 year olds, but a crafty old timer is usually earned.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.