turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Florida 2024 recap

Started by roberthyman14, May 06, 2024, 08:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberthyman14

Tough early season. Lotta oos hunters and not many gobbling birds. I hunted everyday of tge 1st week. I made myself go hunt areas I've never been before. Finally got on some birds by end of week 1. Week 2 and 3 I couldn't get off work so it was just weekend hunting. After that I skip every morning to finish out season. Once alabama season opened it dropped our pressure a good bit. Hunting mostly public land during week days and some private land on weekends. Starting getting consistent birds we hit public for an afternoon hunt. Most boring style there is. Got set up after work in a burned out swamp bottom with a clearing out from it. Lotta purring and soft yelps every 15 minutes for the 1st 2 hours. Heard crows going crazy and then I heard him. He was coming our way. In front of him was 3 hens and him strutting behind them. They stayed in the clearing for 45 minutes. I purred and soft yelped trying to get them into our bottom. He looked our way many times. But wasn't leaving the hens. I happened to glance to our left and here comes another gobbler. Working in silent. Head as red as fire. Buddy had my shotgun and he eased it around. Boom. 1 bird down at 35 yards. He tried getting excited till I told him to shut up n give me my gun back. I quickly went to the calls and started working uo a storm. The birds in the clearing decided it was best to exit the clearing. Mistake as they came into our swamp. Boom 2nd bird down. Pretty cool to double up and it was his 1st bird ever. That Saturday I hit another public spot that we've been trying to kill a bird from for 3 seasons. No luck getting him to release to me. Called up a Jake and a bit after 2 hens. The last week of the season I stayed on private. I got in early in the fog. Had 1 hammering on the limb. Worked him gently and he worked towards me. And up the hill towards a field. He was fired up big time. After he passed by me I turned around facing up the hill looking for him. Had a ton of yupon around my tree. He was gobbling good then went silent. I knew he was coming just couldn't see him. Then I heard a foot step. He came around the tree and we were eye to eye at about 7 ft. Thought safety was off and it wasn't. As he spooked around the back of the tree I shot 2x. Missing him both times. Close range these tight chokes are tough. It was a great morning but that's turkey hunting. Went back next morning but he wasn't home. Stumbled onto another bird on back of property. Make the long walk back n bird is still gobbling at 8 in the morning. Moved on him multiple times getting closer. Then I hit him with the new aluminum pot call I got from gooserbat calls. He marched straight to me. Except it was super thick. He gobbled all around me but never gave me a opportunity. That lasted about 30 minutes. Finally the gig was up and he gobbled as he walked away from me. Tried him the next few days as season went out and he never gobbled again. Season started slow but ended pretty solid. Shoukda tagged out but that's on me. Been using gooserbat mouth calls the last few years and this season won an aluminum pot call in a raffle. It sounds amazing. Changing strikers I can make it scream or make it soft. Bring on 2025

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Lcmacd 58

Awesome job on the double .....

762hunter

Heck yeah man!
Quite the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk